The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Review
- Swinging through New York is fun
- Lots of missions to keep you occupied
- Horrible camera
- Cumbersome controls
Swinging through the city streets is entertaining, but The Amazing Spider-Man 2’s control and camera issues prevent it from becoming a marvel.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
With a great licence comes a great chance of disappointment. And, we'll admit, before even firing up the game, we were prepared to be underwhelmed by The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
Things got off to a shaky start. Gameloft has squeezed an overwhelming amount into its latest movie tie-in, so within moments we were expected to have come to grips with the game’s virtual stick, buttons, and touch controls. These, along with a camera that could barely keep up with the action, combine to make navigating the streets of Manhattan a real struggle.
Thankfully, things got easier once in combat. With only three commands most battles with the game’s various thugs just involved hammering the punch button, throwing in occasional counters in response to onscreen prompts. While camera issues persisted, the slower pace and smaller areas minimised its negative effect on play.
However, once we became accustomed to all of The Amazing Spider-Man 2's idiosyncrasies, we found ourselves having fun. While the camera issues were never resolved, the freedom of swinging through the city streets was exhilarating in short bursts.
The city is filled with missions such as quick-time car chases, and battles with Spidey's iconic supervillains. We found our favourite of these tasks was delivering injured NPC’s to hospital. Along the way the wounded character would tell you their story, nicely filling in gaps in the plot and ensuring that even the most mundane actions had some flavour.
The big spider in the bathtub is The Amazing Spider-Man 2’s positioning as a premium game with in-app purchases. It is a worrying trend, but, here at least, Gameloft isn't being too comically evil. IAP’s speed up unlocks which you would easily arrive at organically through the course of the game, with only a few (albeit expensive) cosmetic options locked behind a paywall.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 flaws linked to its intended scope. It struggles to squeeze as much as it can onto your tiny touchscreen, it results in a slightly ragged and unweildy product. It's a passable open-world action game, with enough content to keep hardcore Spidey fans amused for a while.
Description*IMPORTANT* The Amazing Spider-Man 2 requires an iPad 2 (or newer), iPhone 4s (or newer), or iPod touch 5th Generation.
Become the Amazing Spider-Man in this open-world adventure full of non-stop action, and face the web-slinger’s greatest challenge yet!
New York is under threat from a city-wide gang war and only Spider-Man can stop it! Standing in his way are Electro and other nefarious villains. Can Spider-Man restore order and safety to the Big Apple?!
THE OFFICIAL GAME OF THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 MOVIE
• Web-sling, wall-climb and web-shoot as the fast and quick-witted Spider-Man!
• An original story expands on the highly anticipated blockbuster film!
• Go beyond the film with new characters such as Black Cat and Screwball.
• Unlock Spider-Man suits such as Symbiote Spider-Man and Iron Spider-Man!
• Face off against famous villains such as Venom, the Green Goblin, Electro, and Kraven the Hunter!
• High-quality voice acting and cinematic cutscenes bring the movie experience to life!
• Intense combo-focused combat! Defeat Spider-Man’s greatest enemies – from street thugs to super villains – with crazy acrobatic fighting styles!
• Swing free through the city like never before, thanks to high-quality, fluid animations!
• Take the fight to the sky with action-packed aerial combat!
• Unleash devastating combos through enhanced icon controls for an intense action experience!
MASSIVE ENHANCEMENTS TO THE ULTIMATE PLAYGROUND
• Adventure in a larger open-world Manhattan with 6 detailed districts to explore, from the bustling Times Square to picturesque Central Park!
• Console-like graphics offer a bigger, better, and more beautiful experience.
• A deeper story takes you on an exciting adventure, showcasing 6 legendary villains and an expanded set of side missions!
• Spectacular social events, including battling waves of bosses and opponents in Mysterio’s Arena!
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
This app allows you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third-party advertisements that may redirect you to a third-party site.
What's New in Version 1.1.0Thanks to your highly appreciated feedback, you can now play the game offline! Battle Spidey’s toughest enemies and swing throughout Manhattan virtually anywhere!
• Play without an Internet connection! (Note: Internet connection required for Mysterio’s Arena, social gameplay, and purchasing content.)
• Play as Future Foundation Spider-Man with a brand-new suit!
• Fighting just got a lot more fun! Boss skills, more enemy types and an improved Mysterio’s Arena have been added for a non-stop action experience!
• Bug fixes