- Rich fiction and world
- Great voice acting
- Good gameplay concept
- Poor AI will frustrate
- Fiddly controls at times
- Seeing the world through cameras can feel limiting
République’s gameplay provides an interesting twist on the stealth genre, but it is the world and the fiction that will keep you coming back to this episodic title.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
République begins abruptly with you receiving a call from the panicked hero, Hope. Trapped in a totalitarian state, the young girl longs for freedom. Believing that you are her last chance of escape, Hope asks you to use your hacking skills to manipulate the city’s electronics to help free her.
It is a strange take on the stealth genre, that has you leading Hope remotely through the oppressive world. The 1984-inspired fiction sees the walls covered with surveillance cameras, all of which act as your eyes. Using classic adventure game point-and-click controls you have to move between cameras, activating various electronic devices, to help Hope evade security. There are a number of ingenious ways to use your powers, but we found using our ability to hack door locks and seal guard in rooms particularly satisfying.
While you can tell Hope when and where to run, you have no way to control her route from A to B. If she decides to walk straight past a guard, get caught on the scenery, or simply be unwilling to duck behind a box, there is nothing you can do but look on. This leaves you either micromanaging her every move to ensure she is on track, or coming to terms with the fact that you will be helping Hope escape detention blocks on a regular basis.
République’s superb presentation and interesting dystopian universe provide a wonderful backdrop for Hope's journey, with collectibles adding further history and texture. There is nothing like picking up one of the game’s outlawed books and hearing the Overseer’s ominous voice explaining exactly why he banned that specific title. It is this kind of detail that makes you want to explore, even if when are furious at Hope for being captured yet again.
République tries to do some interesting things with its blend of stealth and point-and-click adventure. The fiddly controls and AI will certainly try your patience at times, but the story and unique gameplay will likely have you coming back for the next episode.
DescriptionIn “Episode 5: Terminus," the fifth and final episode of the thrilling République saga, battle lines are drawn. As Hope and the player bring the fight for freedom directly to the Overseer, they must choose their sides carefully, or risk becoming the injustice they’re trying to stop.
• Hostile Cameras: security cameras scattered through Episode 5 will scan Hope and alert guards to her presence, ratcheting up Republique’s tension and complexity
• Branching Paths: In a first for Republique, players may choose Hope’s path through Episode 5, or let her decide her fate--each path contains hours of unique gameplay
• A New Metamorphosis: revisit dramatically transformed areas from previous episodes, craft new tools to aid Hope’s escape, meet new enemies, and forge new alliances...
République returns with a vengeance in “God’s Acre,” the most thrilling episode yet!
• New Nemesis-Style Enemy (Mammoth)
• Five New Large, Open Environments
• Two New Interactive Puzzles
• Exciting New Characters Reveal The Deeper Mysteries Of Metamorphosis
• Two New Collectible Types (Encoded DNA, Live-Action Content)
• Video Documentary: Go behind-the-scenes at what it took to make Episode 4 a reality, a free download for Season Pass holders (Coming Soon!)
Developed over five years by industry veterans (Metal Gear Solid, Halo, F.E.A.R.), RÉPUBLIQUE is a thrilling and topical stealth-action game that explores the perils of government surveillance in the Internet Age.
• POLYGON - "A must-play experience in 2014."
• IGN - "Special, new, and necessary."
• TOUCH ARCADE (5/5) - "Shaping up to be a masterpiece."
• WINNER - “Excellence in Storytelling,” International Mobile Game Awards
• THE WASHINGTON POST - "Sets a new benchmark for mobile game quality."
You receive a call from Hope, a woman trapped inside a mysterious totalitarian state. By hacking into the nation's elaborate surveillance network and taking control, you guide Hope through a web of danger and deception across five thrilling episodes.
• One Touch stealth action gameplay
• Immersive puzzles and strategic choices
• Innovative, interactive developer commentary (in-app purchase)
• Fully translated in English, French, German, Spanish, Russian and Portuguese
• Incredible voiceover performances, starring:
o Rena Strober
o David Hayter (Metal Gear Solid)
o Jennifer Hale (Mass Effect, BioShock Infinite)
o Dwight Schultz (killer7, Star Trek)
o Khary Payton (Metal Gear Solid 4)
République’s critically acclaimed story continues with "Episode 2: Metamorphosis":
• Metamorphosis Library: A stunning new environment that pushes iOS to the limit
• Three Mind-Bending Puzzles: Featuring a collaboration with Kostya Stankevych, creator of Blueprint 3D
• 3D Map: One of the most requested features come to life, enabled for both EP1 and EP2
• ARC Prizrak: New guard type with protective armor and randomized patrols to keep you on your toes
• New OMNI Abilities: Unlock voyeuristic abilities allowing the visualization of Prizrak through walls and their patrol routes
• Improved Performance: Optimized performance gains from Unity 4.5 (most notable on iPhone 4, iPad mini and iPad 2)
• Video Documentary Part 3: A candid look at the development of Episode 2, a free download for Season Pass owners
République’s biggest and most story-driven episode yet, "Episode 3: Ones & Zeroes":
• Longest episode yet
• Stunning new environments
• Strategic new weapon (Sleepyheads)
• New Prizrak variations (VISR, Ambassadors)
• Innovative, multitier new puzzle (The Morning Bell)
• New OMNI Abilities : Delay guard patrols, visualize enemies on map
• Video documentary: A detailed look into the development of Episode 3, free for Season Pass holders (in-app purchase)
• Episode 2 required to purchase and play Episode 3
• Not optimized for iPhone 4
• Close all running apps to improve performance and stability
What's New in Version 5.01- Fixed the water not appearing at the end of Episode 4
- Fixed Hope's occlusion shader so that it now shows Hope's silhouette when she is behind cover
- Fixed the X-ray ability occlusion shader so that Prizrak can now be seen through walls