Rival Knights Review
- The best jousting simulator on the App Store
- Nice mo-cap visuals
- Good range of upgrades
- Pay to win
- Mechanical and repetitive
- Energy system really limits play
Despite some fancy visuals and a novel idea, Rival Knights reliance on in-app purchases quickly stops it being fun.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
There aren't many medieval sport simulators on App Store. Enter Rival Knights, a game which casts you as a lowly knight who must battle his way through the noble jousting leagues to earn riches and status.
Matches begin with you stirring your steed into action. Once charging down the lane, you must build up speed. Spurring on your horse is achieved by the act of stopping a marker on target as it scrolls back and forth along a meter. The final stage of combat has you drop your lance into position, take aim at your enemy, and hopefully knock him from his horse by striking the tiny indicator on his armoured body.
There is no way of knowing whether you have been successful until the moment when the impressive mocap visuals show you or your opponent flung from your respective steed. This saps out a lot of the fun, as the tension that should be created by the dual is undercut by focusing on the HUD, rather than any indicators in the actual world.
Not that this matters, of course, because real reason you lose is often down to stats, not skill. Victories are determined by attack, defence, and speed. While you can maximise your skillset's efficiency through timely taps and good targeting, ultimately battled are governed by equipment level. This leaves you regularly stuck , with the game demanding you upgrade your kit with with gold or gems that can be earned or purchased in-app. The upshot of this is that, while there is some skill involved, Rival Knights quickly becomes a pay-to-win experience.
This could be mitigated to some extent if grinding for rewards was viable. Unfortunately, entry to both the solo and multiplayer jousts require seals to enter. These are doled out at regular intervals, but matches are so brief that you can use all of your seals in a matter of minutes. This leaves you either needing to purchasing more, or just walking away.
There may not be much like it on the App Store, but Rival Knights's medieval coating is quickly tarnished by its very modern pay-to-win business model. It's perhaps worth a look for the novelty, but there is little here to entice you back to the saddle.
Description***A CLASH OF STRENGTH AND STEEL***
Feel the adrenaline rush of medieval jousting! Crush your rivals and ride your way to glory in the most intuitive, action-packed and visually stunning knight combat game on touch screens!
JOUST LIKE A KNIGHT!
√ Experience the thrill of fast-paced and highly addictive jousting
√ Sharpen your skills with precision timing and aim
√ Take on ruthless foes spread across 5 leagues and countless events
√ Become champion of the realm and etch your name into history!
√ Motion-capture animations for knights and horses immerse you in the combat
√ Enjoy stunning, lifelike 3D graphics and dynamic camera angles
√ Compete in a breathtaking environment with changing weather conditions and time of day
√ Send rivals flying with real-time ragdoll physics and slow-motion effects
ARM YOURSELF FOR VICTORY
√ Unlock over 120 mounts, lances, armors, helms and more
√ Upgrade them at the Blacksmith to gain an edge over opponents
√ Use temporary boosts wisely to triumph
√ Customize your crest to strike fear into your rivals
THROW DOWN THE GAUNTLET!
√ Challenge other players in asynchronous multiplayer mode
√ Enter weekly PvP tournaments for glory…
√ …and win King-size rewards!
√ Recruit teammates, form clans and rule the realm!
Will you ride to victory, or fall in the fight?
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
This app allows you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third-party advertisements that may redirect you to a third-party site.
What's New in Version 1.2.0Accomplished knights are masters of every art of war and can never let their guard down. But in this update, that mastery will be put to the test in two challenging new game modes! You’ll also be treated to many new features sure to delight both veteran knights and fresh squires alike.
- Crossbow Contest: Let’s see how steady you can aim your bow when your life depends on hitting the mark.
- Steed Racing: Be the first across the finish line in a shoulder-to-shoulder gallop through an obstacle course.
- 4 New Battlefields: The fiercest knights always seek fresh competition. Discover four new jousting arenas in far-flung locations, each with new music and sound effects.
- Prestige Titles: Show the crowd who’s the bravest knight around by earning prestigious titles as you progress in the King’s Tournament and the Championship.
- Expanded Story: Learn more about the friends you’ve met and rivals you’ll beat into the dust along your single-player adventure.
- New Art Style: When not driving the pointy end of a lance at your chest, the bosses like to take care of their appearance. Discover each one’s new look!
- Larger Crowds: See how more and more of your fans flock to the arena to witness your prowess as you progress in the game.
- Improved Graphics: Enjoy beautiful new foliage in the League of the Rose and particle effects for an even more immersive jousting experience!
- New Boosts: When facing the toughest opponents, every knight needs a little extra help. Give our Speed and Power Boosts a try to break through to the next level of your journey!