Civilization Revolution 2 Review
- Engrossing and deep strategy
- Easy interface ensures the basics are easy to pick up
- Attractive visuals make conquering the world even more satisfying
- Steep learning curve
- Finding the right menu can be tough
- Selecting troops fiddly on small screens
Civilization Revolution 2 is a wonderful interpretation of the turn-based strategy genre for mobile, offering consumable two hour blasts of its world domination gameplay.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Civilization Revolution 2 has a single goal: rule the world. How you set about achieving this easier-said-than-done task is open to interpretation. You could decide to control Gandhi in his march to military domination, or guide Bismarck to a religious victory, rewriting history with a selection of taps.
Though Revolution 2 is based on previous Civilization games, there are added nuances to this new version. Fortunately, a tutorial walks you through the basic controls, showing you the way around the menu and movement options.
While the tutorial outlines the basics, learning the game’s full range of involving social doctrines, sciences, and tech-trees is left you to you. An entire encyclopedia is on hand to help with this, along with text pop-ups which dog you at every step of the early game.
After selecting a culture, your first task is deciding where to build your capital. The surrounding landscape dictates the cities strengths, with fertile land allowing faster population growth, and rocky areas providing materials for production. From there it is all about expansion, as you build more cities and extend your influence to cover the small world map.
As you grow you encounter other empires. You can either forge friendly relations with these new nations, or take the more direct route to domination by obliterating them from existence.
The decisions you make are influenced by your current situation. If you possess strong culture, simply existing near a nation may be enough to swallow it up in a sea of McDonald's and blue jeans. On the other hand, if you have a vast military, then a direct approach may be the way to go - providing you are not limited to pikemen while you opponent has managed to develop stealth fighters.
This freedom of choice provides satisfying and devastating moments. When we lost a key city to the Romans we were inspired with a lust for vengeance we rarely experience in strategy games - though this did make watching our little knights smashing Rome’s warriors in the next battle all the more rewarding.
Whether you perceive Civilization Revolution 2 as an update of the original, or a stripped back, sped-up version of the PC series, there is no denying that it provides a deep but digestible strategy experience. The few niggles we have - issues locating options in the menu and trouble selecting units on the small screen - are an extension of this ambition, but do nothing to tarnish the engrossing world domination fun.
Description***NOTE: Compatible with iPhone 4S+, iPad 2+, iPad mini 1+, and iPod touch 5 - WILL NOT RUN ON EARLIER DEVICES***
The sequel to one of the most successful strategy games on mobile is here! Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2 challenges players to build a glorious empire that will stand the test of time. This is the first game in the Civilization catalog to be developed and available exclusively for mobile devices. Civilization Revolution 2 offers mobile strategy fans a brand new 3D presentation and more tactical depth than ever before! Find out if you have what it takes to rule the world!
- New Units – strengthen your military might with brand new combat units including Aircraft Carriers, Jet Fighters and Special Forces.
- New Technology – race to science supremacy with new technology such as: Lasers, Modern Medicine and Information Technology
- New Buildings & Wonders – grow and expand your civilization like never before with new buildings and wonders including Nuclear Power Plant, The Red Cross and Silicon Valley
- Enhanced 3D Graphics – updated 3D graphics taking full advantage of iOS devices graphical capability
- Scenario Challenges - reenact historic events and battles in the Scenario Mode
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/civ
Follow us on Twitter: @2kgames
For more great games visit: https://www.2k.com/games
What's New in Version 1.3.0Hey Civ fans we want to thank you for your continued support of the game with our biggest content update yet including:
- New Civilization - Korea
- New Leaders - Lenin the Russian communist, King Sejong king of Joseon
- New Technologies - Urban Infrastructure & Social Insurance
- New Buildings – Recycling Center, Stadiums and Community Facilities
- New Wonder - Universal Healthcare