OODA — Portable MIDI Sequencer
- App Store Info
DescriptionOODA is a fresh take on the classic MIDI step sequencer with interactive and semi-generative enhancements.
What makes OODA unique is that you can connect arbitrary steps together using conditional “wormholes” to add structured (or random) variation to your sequences. Another unique feature is that OODA’s underlying model is decoupled from its voices. This allows you to interact with your sequences and create melodic variations in real time without affecting your groove.
OODA’s open-ended sequence grid can be easily configured for almost any use case. Anything from simple melodies and bass parts to semi-generative chords and arpeggios, OODA can do it all with a little creativity!
- Record sequences up to 64 steps with the in-app keyboard or an external MIDI device
- Interact with your sequence on the fly using four “action” buttons
- Link together steps using conditional wormholes to create structure and variation
- Create complex patterns of melody and rhythm using four independent voices
- Change voice speed independent of sequencer speed
- Comes with ten factory presets to give you an idea of what OODA is capable of
- Explore a deep, yet focused set of parameters
- Sequencer Settings
- Grid size (4x4 or 8x8)
- Sync voices to sequencer rate
- Sequencer rate
- Sequencer direction
- Shift amount (semitones)
- Live toggle rests and skips
- Wormhole Patcher
- Conditionally “reroute” your sequence by connecting arbitrary steps
- Per-step wormholes
- Destination and normal steps per wormhole
- Trig conditions and probability for moving through each wormhole (see below for list)
- Voice Settings
- Four voices with independent settings
- Rate of play (in beat time from 16 bars to 32nd T)
- Includes unique note values based on the Golden Ratio for maximum generative fun!
- Length of note (10% to 100%)
- Variety of rules for selecting notes from active step (see below for list)
- Pitch offset
- Unique pattern control for creating rhythms and polymeters, now with step options
- Easily add holds, ties, accents (positive and negative), ratchets, and trig conditions
- MIDI velocity and channel
- Flexible Connectivity
- Use in a compatible audio unit host like AUM, or in standalone mode
- Control multiple instruments at once with five MIDI outputs
- One for all voices together, and one for each voice by itself
- Sync to the tempo of other devices using Ableton Link or MIDI clock (standalone)
- Send MIDI clock to external synths (standalone, experimental feature)
- Connect to Bluetooth MIDI devices
- Modulate OODA’s parameters in a compatible AUv3 host (audio unit)
- Eight unique MIDI CC outputs derived from OODA’s sequencer model
- Sequencer X, Sequencer Y, Sequence Phase, Action OR, and per-voice random
- Includes macOS app!
OODA can be used as a standalone app or as an AUv3 plugin. There are some important differences between the two. The standalone app features a simple, toggleable "Sidekick Synth" so you can quickly experiment with OODA. Of course, you can also send MIDI from the standalone app. Meanwhile, the OODA AUv3 plugin does NOT generate sound. Instead, you use it to send MIDI (note messages) to other apps, plugins, or hardware instruments that do the actual sound generation. AUv3 plugins must be used inside a compatible host.
Available Wormhole Rules
- Always, 1x through 7x, 2:2 through 8:8, 10%, 25%, 33%, 50%, 67%, 75%, 90%, Last, Not Last
Available Voice Rules
- Nth, Lowest, Highest, Random, Up, Down, UpDown, DownUp, UpDown+, DownUp+, Rise, Fall
View manual: https://www.audiosymmetric.com/manuals.html
View tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Uka-nFom-pgTB-DftgDvA
What's New in Version 1.0.1New in OODA 1.0.1:
- Fix an issue where ratchets would sometimes cause hanging notes.
- Fix some issues causing hanging notes in Cubasis.
- Make sure OODA always receives MIDI on its virtual input port.
- Small UI changes for consistency with ZOA.
- Fix an issue with some parameter menus controlling the wrong AU parameters on macOS.
- Prevent redundant Note Off events from advancing the active record step.
- Potentially fix an issue that caused OODA to crash on launch on macOS Catalina.