Hi, How Are You: 40 Awesomely Totally Ridiculous and Very, Very Cool Levels of Bizarrely, Bizarre Fun! Review
- Beautifully rendered and fluid visuals.
- Gameplay is actually quite addictive.
- The game’s style is exceptional and something new to players.
- This is a really abstract game and may deter some, more serious, players.
- The gameplay can get a bit repetitive after a while.
If you’re someone who enjoys some a surreal experience, then Hi, How Are You may be worth the current price.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
If you are a fan of quirky games with a lot of style then get ready for Hi, How Are You. Players must play as a small frog like creature as you try to rescue your true love after she was kidnapped by the devil. You must progress through a series of levels by hopping on each of the green tiles to turn them into a solid colour. You must navigate each map and avoid any dangers as fast as you can to earn different trophies and move on to the next stage.
Players use the iPhone's tilting capabilities in order to move your character and can tap on the screen in order to jump. Players will also need to use the two stop buttons to wait for lifts or passing dangers in order to continue the level.
The hand drawn, 3D rendered visuals will stand out almost immediately. And while they may seem a little crude, they are extremely well done. The sound quality is top notch and the content helps immerse players into this surreal environment. But players can use their iPod if they want a more familiar audio track. The game features one main game mode, but levels can be repeated for a better score and a chance to unlock more in game achievements.
This is a great game to have a look at if you want something new and unusual to play. The gameplay is strangely alluring and levels becoming increasingly harder; incorporating puzzles into the otherwise simple gameplay. This is definitely a game that will leave a lasting impression on players; whether it’s a good or bad, it’s one you won’t soon forget.
DescriptionWHAT THE PRESS ARE SAYING:
"...the result is a kind of psycho-religious version of Frogger..." - New York Times
"...Hi, How Are You has taken on a whole new layer of awesome..." - TouchArcade
"It’s totally ridiculous and very very cool." - purepoponline.com
"...HHAY is overflowing with Johnston’s influence and unlike any other platformer at the App Store" - iPhone Game of the day - BlogFaction
"...pure Johnston..." - PocketGamer
"...as loving a tribute to an artist as I've seen from a game..." - Offworld.com
“The play control is smooth and easy to pick up, the graphics are beautiful and cartoony, and the soundtrack is amazing” - cultofmac.com
“…Hi, How Are You sets a new iPhone benchmark aesthetically.” - PocketGamerUK
“…(an) other-worldly masterpiece…” - ThumbSpree.com
"Daniel Johnston's iPhone Game Is Predictably Bizarre, Bizarrely Fun" - Gizmodo.com
“…Forget Guitar Hero…” - The Guardian
The story begins with Satan turning the innocent Jeremiah into a frog and stealing the object of his affection. Jeremiah must progress through 40 devilish levels to reverse the curse that Satan has bestowed upon him and win back his true love.
* Never before seen on iPhone: Fully toon shaded environments and characters that bring Daniel’s marker art style to life.
* 40 challenging levels that gradually increase in difficulty, catering to players of all skill levels, from novice to expert gamer.
* Play as one of four different characters as you progress through the game. Complete the whole game to unlock all characters for any level.
* Control your character using intuitive tilt controls or the virtual on screen joystick controls.
* Have the camera automatically update or use on screen buttons.
* Lots of physics obstacles, puzzles, and enemies to outrun, outsmart and outmaneuver.
* 27 achievements to collect. Each one unlocks a unique piece of Daniel's artwork for you to view.
* Sound track comprised of some of Daniel’s best songs and poignant lyrics.
* Race the clock or go for the bonus blocks to earn your bronze, silver, or gold trophies.
Hi, How Are You is playable for free, with some sections and features available only to subscribers of GameClub Pro, an optional auto-renewing monthly subscription which also removes ads. Besides the GameClub Pro subscription, there are no other in-app purchases in this game.
If you choose to purchase the optional subscription:
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. No charge will be made for the free trial period.
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior of the current period, at the cost indicated.
- You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your App Store account settings after purchase.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
What's New in Version 3.1.4We’re pleased to announce Hi, How Are You has joined GameClub and has been updated to support all modern iOS devices. GameClub offers a curated catalog of iconic games, with new titles released every week. Subscribers get access to unlimited gameplay, no ads, and no additional purchases — just pure fun.
If you previously purchased this game, you will receive a free update and be able to continue playing the fully unlocked experience. If you have any issues, please contact [email protected]