Wonderputt iPad Review
- Utterly gorgeous presentation; clean, crisp, vibrant - it's one part reference diagram, one part children's novel, and all of it is fun.
- Unlockable Wonder mode provides some amount of lasting challenge.
- Controls unsuited to the tiny isometric levels; very easy to mess up the alignment of a shot, especially when aiming in a South-East direction.
Short, sweet and fun - Wonderputt feels like a fantasy trip to your favorite mini-golf course, complete with aliens and a few impossible structures to conquer.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
What do you get when you combine a funky, vibrant isometric stage with toads, submarines, volcanoes, and Stonehenge? The answer, cryptically, is the world of Wonderputt by Damp Gnat. It's in this world that you'll attempt to slingshot a ball in to a hole, hopefully picking up points along the way, but more importantly hopefully to have fun.
Playing the game couldn't be easier as you hold down on the ball and drag away from it, slingshot-style, letting go once you're happy with your aim and power. It's not perfect, especially given the rather tiny areas that are sectioned off to putt on, but the game is ready to hold out a helping hand as most areas provide a spot that can stop the ball (or move it to a new section of the screen).
Much like your favorite mini-golf course, Wonderputt is full of delightful gadgets and hazards to navigate around, with some requiring a bit of puzzle solving, good timing and in one case, just enough power to skim across the surface of a lake. Every time you sink the ball you're rewarded with an animated sequence setting up the new hole, occasionally revealing new areas of the same screen as you go.
Wonderputt is a small offering - one that's easily played through in a single sitting - though completing the game once will unlock the Wonder mode where you'll attempt to complete the rainbow for bonus points. This provides some replay value, but it's worth grabbing Wonderputt even if you only complete it once for the novel artwork and gameplay.
DescriptionAward winning Adventure Golf with cows, toads, ski slopes, torpedoes and a sprinkle of alien abduction for good measure.
"Wonderputt is one of those sharp apps you just have to show everyone" - Touch Arcade
ADVENTURE GOLF LIKE NO OTHER
From the creator of Icycle: On Thin Ice, Damp Gnat takes you on a putting adventure through a diorama of scientific wonder. Experience the innocent joy of miniature golf over a polymorphing world while you discover its secrets and indulge in its animated surprises.
• EASY touch and drag control for simple intuitive play
• UNRAVEL Wonderputt's world of geographic delight on 18 unique holes
• UNLOCK Wonder to enable rainbow collectables for that added layer of challenge
• JUMP to any unlocked hole to practice and hone your skills
• COMPETE and refine your scores in 3 Game Center Leaderboards
• COLLECT all 16 challenging Game Center Achievements
• No IAPs or Adverts, just instant relaxing pleasure
"Ingenious and imaginative level design, with a crisp interface and a great deal of replayability" - Modojo
"That's some seriously wonderful art there, and wait until you see it animated" - Jay is Games
"It's easy to succeed, and really difficult to master. We are left open-mouthed by this one." - E4
• Best Tablet Game Finalist at the Webby Awards 2012
• 2nd Best Mobile Physics Game on Jayisgames 2012
• Best Art Winner at BIG Festival 2012
• Visual Arts Finalist at the IGF 2012
• Visual Arts Finalist at the Develop Awards 2012
Compatible with devices running iOS 8 or later