Sword of Fargoal Review
- Good looking in-game visuals and hand drawn cut scenes.
- Easy to use controls scheme.
- Players can create and access multiple characters.
- Limited character customisation options.
- The movement controls can get a bit too sensitive at times.
While it does have its minor sensitivity issues, Sword of Fargoal is a great play for fans of arcade dungeon titles and other old school platformers.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The call to adventure cries out for a hero. Are you brave enough to dwell deep into a 20 level dungeon and find the enchanted Sword of Fargoal? Let’s hope so. Players will embark on a Gauntlet style journey and must defend against monsters, avoid traps and collect as much gold as possible all while seeking the magic blade.
Players navigate the dungeon by swiping their finger in the direction they wish to move and use spells and perform other actions using the appropriate on screen prompts. Once players have explored the dungeon, they will come across various monsters which they can attack by swiping towards. While these controls are simple enough, long periods of movement can be a bit finicky at times.
The game’s old school visuals are very reminiscent of Gauntlet but some of the small chalk drawn cut scenes and the 2.5D rendered environments look great. The midi style soundtrack also takes players back to the old arcade days; but there is currently no iPod access available. The game offers players one main game mode, but multiple characters can be stored and accessed at any time.
For fans of Gauntlet and other dungeon arcade games, then Sword of Fargoal is a thoroughly enjoyable play. While it may not have the multiplayer access or character options that made those retro games a blast to play, it’s still one that nostalgic players will love.
DescriptionExplore perilous dungeons, battle hordes of monsters, avoid devilish traps, and rescue the Sword of Fargoal in this award-winning dungeon-crawler RPG.
• 85 / 100 - Metacritic
• One of the “Best Video Games of All Time” - Computer Gaming World
• 5 / 5 - TouchArcade “Best iPhone Games of the Year”
• 9 / 10 - GamePro
Embark on an old school roguelike adventure packed with nostalgia, use a cunning array of magic spells and potions to help you when swords and brute force fail, and discover Sword of Fargoal, the genre-defining dungeon crawler game that inspired generations.
The Sword of Fargoal is somewhere in the depths of the dungeon, waiting for you to find it and bring it back to the surface. It's no easy task. Not only do you need to find your way around each maze-like floor to discover the stairs down to the next level, but you also need to survive any traps and monsters you stumble across on your travels. Each time you play, the dungeon and its contents change.
You'll find plenty of help along the way- tools, equipment, and magic spells. You never quite know what you'll find in the dungeon, but if you make the most of what you discover, you may well survive long enough to put your hands on the legendary blade itself. Of course, escaping with the sword is another task entirely.
- Endless Questing: With a different dungeon to tackle every time you play, you'll never run out of adventures!
- Become a Hero: Battle monsters, gather gold, and make offerings at temples to increase your power!
- Awesome Treasure: Find a variety of spells, magical amulets, and mysterious orbs to help you on your journey!
- Terrifying Monsters: Keep your wits about you to avoid defeat at the claws of grisly Gargoyles, powerful Shadow Dragons, invincible Demons, and many more. Even your fellow humans can't be trusted!
- Multiple Difficulty Settings: Enjoy unlimited lives in Squire Mode, take on the standard Hero Mode, or try to tackle the ultimate challenge in Legend Mode!
***Supports MFi, XBox, and PlayStation Controllers***
Sword of Fargoal is one of the many fantastic games brought back to life by GameClub, fully updated to support the latest versions of iOS and newest devices.
Sword of Fargoal is playable for free, with some sections and features available only to subscribers of GameClub Pro, an optional auto-renewing monthly subscription which also removes ads. Besides the GameClub Pro subscription, there are no other in-app purchases in this game.
If you choose to purchase the optional subscription:
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. No charge will be made for the free trial period.
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior of the current period, at the cost indicated.
- You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your App Store account settings after purchase.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
What's New in Version 1.9.11Thanks for playing this GameClub game! GameClub offers a curated catalog of iconic games, with new titles released every week. Subscribers get access to unlimited gameplay, no ads, and no additional purchases — just pure fun.
This update contains bug fixes and performance improvements. Let’s play!