Jetpack Joyride Review
- Multiple game features interlock to provide a constant sense of progression.
- Fun (and familiar) vehicles to cruise around in.
- Smooth, detailed 2D sprite designs; bright, fun and lots of detail.
- Incredibly catchy background music; energetic, jazzy and dynamic - suits just about every situation.
- In-app purchases can be tempting; threatens to ruin the delicate balance of reward/effort (do note however, this is entirely personal).
- Insufficient explanation of 'golden' upgrades.
While touch-to-fly style endless games are nothing new, Jetpack Joyride trumps them all by packing together gorgeous designs with fun gameplay and replay value that's bursting at the seams.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
There were two particularly interesting results that came of Brisbane-based developer Halfbrick studios release of Monster Dash (a fun, but basic endless runner) last year. Firstly it was the introduction of Barry Steakfries - a rebel without a cause and all-around monster slaying badass. Secondly, a temporary power-up allowed you to soar through the sky on the wings of a gatling-gun jetpack - if that doesn't evoke a Tim the "Toolman" Taylor style series of grunts, I don't know what will.
And so now we come to the second in Halfbrick's series of Steakfries-inspired endless runners, but this time it's all-jetpack, all-the-time. The single-touch controls allow you to control Barry's height, spewing forth bullets, flames, lasers or even rainbows depending on the jetpack you've chosen from the unlockable selection in the store. Coins scattered around the screen provide the cash necessary to buy these boons (along with aesthetic changes and temporary power-ups), giving you incentive to come back for more.
Unfortunately, things would get predictably tiresome if you were simply grinding out cash for the sake of it. Thankfully a mission system provides objectives such as high-fiving scientists, grinding your head on the floor or surviving a trip in the teleporter vehicle for a set distance. Stars are awarded for completion of these tasks, upgrading your 'level' and providing cash bonuses, giving you a constant sense of progression.
All of this tightly integrated gameplay would be for naught if the presentation wasn't also up to scratch. Fans of games like Metal Slug will appreciate the fine cartoonish detail that has gone in to the underground science-lab world of Jetpack Joyride, with scientists bumbling around while lasers, explosions and rockets fly around like a never-ending visual smorgasbord. Of particular note is the background music which is so catchy you'll find yourself humming it between sessions - if nothing else the game is worth it for this aural pleasure.
As with all endless titles repetitive play can wear down the joy of Jetpack Joyride, but unless you're playing it almost non-stop the amount of unlockables, bonus features such as coins for a 'slot-machine' finish to each run and the mission system will keep you coming back for more. The new king of runners is here and it's called Jetpack Joyride.
DescriptionFrom the creators of the widely popular Fruit Ninja game (one of the top most downloaded games of the decade) comes this fun high-flying action running game that will keep you entertained for weeks!
Suit up with Barry Steakfries in cool jetpacks and costumes to go on a wild ride in his endless running quest to see if you can reach the end of the lab.
Over 500 million players who downloaded this game can’t be wrong.
Download FREE and start your adventure today!
Bullet-powered jetpacks! Giant mechanical dragons! Birds that shoot money! Let me in this "Juego Loco"!
● Fly the coolest jetpacks in gaming history
● Surf the wave-rider in all its glory
● Complete daring missions to boost your rank
● Customise your look with ridiculous outfits
● Dodge lasers, zappers, and guided missiles
● Collect coins and make boatloads of money
● Storm the lab in giant mechs and crazy vehicles
● Equip high-tech gadgets and power-ups
Earn achievements and battle it out against friends
Test your reflexes with simple one-touch controls
This game contains optional in-app purchases. You can disable this feature in the settings menu of your device.
View our terms of service at http://halfbrick.com/tos
What's New in Version 1.23.1CHINESE NEW YEAR EVENT!
Celebrate 2020 the right way!
Collect the ‘Red Envelopes’ to unlock new & exclusive Chinese New Year prizes!
NEW EXCLUSIVE CONTENT:
• Blast your way through the lab with our new FLAMETHROWER JETPACK
• Ride the new Ox vehicle upgrade for the Lil Stomper
• Celebrate the Year of the Rat with the exclusive RAT COSTUME
Xin nian hao!