- Elegant design and control coupled with a good selection of game modes.
- Selecting words and scoring huge points is incredibly intuitive.
- Sometimes searching for that perfect word will end up leading to brain fatigue.
One of the most elegant word games you're likely to find on the app store, with modes to test both those who like to think on their feet or prefer a game with little to no pressure.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Your average word game never fails to impress on some level as word formation is such a simple yet addictive puzzle for our brains to solve. What sets some above others is not only the format of finding words, but the elegance of word creation itself, and this is where Spelltower by Zach Gage shines.
Words are created by swiping through letters. Not just vertically and horizontally however, but diagonally as well. And it's not to say it's like a word find either. You can start your word off with a couple letters moving down, then cross over to a diagonal for a little while, pass back through the other way and score big on points with a word that on the board was shaped like a pretzel. Certain letters will either have extra points attached or be colored blue. If you make a word with a blue tile, the entire row of tiles that the blue tile was part of will disappear, and a word comprising of five or more letters will clear out its immediate area like a bomb going off. The only other rule is you can't use the same word more than once per game.
With this play style you need a good amount of modes to play around with. The normal mode has a full screen of letters and allows you to keep playing until all the tiles or gone or you give up, not being able to find anymore words. Puzzle mode has the tiles rise one row per turn, so you need to keep them from reaching the top. Rush mode adds new rows on a regular basis, and expert puzzle mode are for those that found puzzle mode too easy.
At the time of this review, a multiplayer mode is being developed which should add another fun twist to the gameplay. For word game fans, this is a must get. Those who find themselves bored searching for words should look elsewhere, but the ease of creating words in Spelltower just might pull over some converts.
Description- Originally written about in The New York Times, featured in Apple Stores, heard about on NPR, and played by millions, SpellTower is back and better than ever! -
- - - - WORDS + STRATEGY = AWESOME
Pick your words wisely! As you work, more tiles rise from the bottom of the screen, and it'll take all of your lexicological wits, and tactical know-how to keep them down. If any of the letters make it to the top row, it's game over.
SIX AMAZING MODES
- TOWER MODE : No pressure here. Try and get the highest score possible out of 140 tiles, eliminating small words to set up 7- and 8-letter blockbusters!
- DAILY TOWER MODE : Stack up against other players on identical towers that change daily!
- PUZZLE MODE : Every word you make adds a new row of letters! Strategic word finding at its best.
- EXTREME PUZZLE MODE : Puzzle mode with the minimum word length cranked up. Experts only!
- ZEN MODE : Puzzle mode without any length requirements.
- RUSH MODE : Rows of letters build up over time. Find words as fast as you can, but be careful you don't back yourself into a corner!
- [Bonus!] SUPER TOWER MODE : (iPad Pro only) Try and get the highest score possible out of 432 tiles, eliminating small words to set up 7- and 8-letter blockbusters!
GAME CENTER leader boards and achievements, for each mode, and highest scoring word!
- - - - WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
Best Word Game! - 148Apps' 2011 Best App Ever Awards
- Touch Arcade's Favorite Puzzle game of 2011 -
Ranked #2 in Mashable's Top 10 iPhone Word Games
"Simple, stylish and furiously addictive. Far and away the best ‘pure’ word game on iOS." 5/5 stars - Tap! Magazine
"I'm obsessed, I'm ignoring my family!" - John Moe, NPR Marketplace
"guaranteed to entertain" - IGN
"by far one of the best [word puzzle games] in recent years" - 4.5/5 Stars - Editors Choice - 148Apps
"SpellTower is an extraordinary word game that deserves a place among the best of the genre." - 4/4 - SlideToPlay
"The Boggle Tetris That We Needed” - Kotaku's Gaming App of The Day
"A must-buy for word fiends, SpellTower is an uncommonly attractive and thoughtfully designed puzzler" - 9/10 - Gold Award - Pocket Gamer
"Nervy, humbling, and strangely energizing. If you can handle the stress, SpellTower is magnificent" - EDGE Magazine
"A superb word game... for anyone in your household who loves a good word teaser, even the most technologically-challenged. Grab it and start spelling!" - JayIsGames
"It's Boggle on crack... only costs 2$, and your life." - Weekend Confirmed
"The best word game you haven't played", "A brain-picking puzzler" - Pitchfork / KillScreen Magazine
"I’m already convinced SpellTower is a significantly better game [than PopCap’s Bookworm]." - playontap.com