Kingdom Rush Frontiers HD iPad Review
- Challenging and compulsive battles.
- Stellar production values.
- As charming and engaging as its predecessor.
- Doesn't do anything drastically new with the franchise.
Though Kingdom Rush: Frontiers is more of a torch bearer than a trailblazer, its refreshed character roster and fiendishly clever maps will more than satisfy tower defence fans. A class act.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Sequels can be tricky. You have to give the fans more of what they loved the first time out, while adding enough new elements to warrant a second visit. It's doubly difficult when you're following an acclaimed title like tower defence titan Kingdom Rush. Luckily for us, developer Ironhide has kept its cool and delivered another top tier instalment to artillery-oriented action. The team hasn't deviated far from the original template, but considering the quality of the original, that's not altogether a bad thing.
Like its predecessor, Kingdom Rush: Frontiers drops you into a medieval world, and tasks you with defending it against a rogue's gallery of marauders and would-be occupiers. To do this, you must erect towers of varying capabilities. There are four main types of tower: barracks, archer towers, mage towers, and dwavern bombards. At the beginning of each round, you'll need to spend your gold reserves on building a selection of these towers. Once they're built, the assault will start, after which you'll have to buy more towers - and upgrade your existing defences - using cash earned from slaying your advancing foes.
Everything that made the first game great is back in force for the second instalment. There's a gaggle of enemies both old and new, with each unit possessing its own unique abilities and visual quirks. Though you'll begin by loosing arrows at low level desert thugs, it won't be long before you're tackling more dangerous foes like Executioners and Giant Scorpions. As before, the game's arch fantasy setting and humorous pop culture references disguise the very real challenges that the game throws up. Fail to upgrade your towers wisely or forget to deploy your reinforcements, and defeat will not be far behind.
However, when coupled with the game's stellar production values, charismatic creature design, and rock solid battle mechanics, these challenges are a pleasure to face. Even when victories are snatched from you grasp at the last minute, you'll find yourself hitting the restart button and preparing yourself for another onslaught.
If there's any disappointment to be found in Kingdom Rush: Frontiers, it's that it doesn't take the franchise in any particularly noteworthy new directions. The mantra here seems to have been 'more of the same, but bigger and better'. However, when the results are this much fun, who are we to complain?
DescriptionKingdom Rush Frontiers is a whole new level of the furiously fast, enchantingly charming gameplay that made kingdom Rush an award-winning Tower Defense hit.
Defend exotic lands from dragons, man-eating plants, and ghastly denizens of the underworld -all with flashy towers, levels, heroes, and more goodies to help you crush your enemies to a pulp.
BUILD MIGHTY TOWERS!
• OVER 18 TOWER ABILITIES! Unleash Death Riders, pestilence clouds, or assassins that steal and kill your enemies!
• 8 SPECIALIZED TOWER UPGRADES! Slice, sizzle, and stomp your foes with Crossbow Forts, Mighty Templars, Necromancers, and even Earthquake Machines - hey, we told you we were shaking things up.
• UPGRADE SYSTEM allows you to min/max your towers towards your preferred strategy.
• Fortify the frontier in exotic news lands - hold the line in deserts, jungles, and even the underworld!
TRAIN LEGENDARY HEROES
• 16 LEGENDARY HEROES. Choose among mighty champions and train their abilities! Each has unique specialties that fit different play styles and strategies!
• Special units and features on every stage! Watch out for the Black Dragon!
DEFEAT THEM ALL
• OVER 40 ENEMIES with unique abilities! Stay on your toes as you fight through desert sandworms, tribal shamans, nomad tribes, and underground terrors. Action like you have never seen before!
• MERCILESS BOSS FIGHTS! Hey, we told you to get those upgrades...
MORE MIND-BOGGLING CONTENT
• Hours of army with OVER 80 ACHIEVEMENTS! what can you expect from Ironhide Games, the creators of Kingdom rush? You will be hooked for hours searching for Easter eggs and achievements!
• IN-GAME ENCYCLOPEDIA! learn all about your enemies and you will be able to plan the best strategy to defeat them. Study up!
• CLASSIC, IRON, AND HEROIC GAME MODES to challenge your tactical skills!
• 3 DIFFICULTY MODES! Are you up for a real challenge? Go with Hard mode!
• PLAY IT OFFLINE! No internet? No problem! You will be able to jump into real action even offline!
PRAISE FOR KINGDOM RUSH: IGN Editor's Choice, Slide To Play Must Have, 148 Apps Editor's Choice, Jay is Games Game of the Year, Pocket Gamer Gold Award, Touch Arcade 4.5/5
Terms and Conditions:
Video creators, podcast creators, and streamers:
We would love to see your content on Youtube and Twitch! We support and promote channel creators so, if you want us to showcase your videos or want to know more about our games, feel free to write to us to [email protected]
What's New in Version 5.6.21Small bug fixes and improvements.
Old save game migration fixes.