DEAD TRIGGER 2 Review
- More varied mission objectives than Dead Trigger.
- Super-zombies are fun to defeat.
- No energy system.
- One of the best looking shooters on the App Store.
- Earning cash and gold is still a grind-fest.
- Workstations take ages to upgrade.
- Endless zombie shootouts get repetitive.
Though there's no escaping its grindy and repetitive fundamentals, Dead Trigger 2's varied environments, objectives, and enemies are a definite improvement on those of its predecessor.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
In a world filled with derivative grey zombie shooters, how do you make yours stand out from the shambling crowd. In the case of Madfinger's 2012 hit Dead Trigger, the answer was simple: make it look fantastic. However, though it was definitely one of the prettiest games on the App Store, it was let down by repetitive gameplay, dull enemies, and freemium grind fatigue.
With Dead Trigger 2, Madfinger has attempted to inject some variety into the series, adding new zombie types, more varied mission objectives, and a hideout featuring upgradeable workstations and weaponry. And, though there's no getting away from the fact that this is yet another zombie shooter, Dead Trigger 2 is an improvement on its predecessor.
Things start off in the US, where you are reintroduced to the zombie menace which is still threatening the world. Dead Trigger fans will immediately notice the new default control scheme, which does away with the fire button altogether. Instead, you need only to point your crosshairs at a zombie, and your weapon will discharge automatically
Though we did miss the satisfaction of lining up the perfect headshot and choosing when to pull the trigger, we found the ability to move, strafe, aim, and fire without ever lifting our thumbs off the screen incredibly useful, especially when heavily outnumbered. You can switch to the more traditional button-based system if you decide the autofire isn't for you, though.
The mission structure has also been re-jigged. Though the game still demands you kill a set number of zombies or survive while a clock counts down, these goals are disguised as sub-objectives in a larger mission. Now, you'll find yourself escorting team members to safety, firing up generators, locating water or fuel, and conducting research - all while pumping round after round into advancing deadites.
The story, which initially takes you across the US and Africa, is nothing more than a thin text-based thread used to string set pieces together. That said, with sniping missions, turret sections, and a host of new super-zombies - including the frenzied Rager and the radioactive Scienfist - the set pieces are more compelling than those found in Dead Trigger.
Of course, Dead Trigger 2 is a freemium game, and as such comes with the usual pair of virtual currencies. It'll also come as no surprise that it's still a grind to obtain the Gold needed to unlock advanced weapons and speed up the production of painkillers, grenades, and other gear.
Each of your workstations (medical, engineering, and so on) can be upgraded to improve their efficiency and output, but this process takes cash and time. However, to its credit, Dead Trigger 2 does not feature an energy system. This means you'll never find yourself locked out of the game waiting for a stamina bar to recharge. You will have to grind long and hard to collect the blueprints for weapons (which are dropped by random enemies) and the cash to build them, but at least you can do so without interruptions.
Like its progenitor, Dead Trigger 2 is still repetitive, grindy, and more than a little dumb. However, with more distinctive enemies, varied locations, and structured missions, it is a step up from Dead Trigger. It many not be enough to convince naysayers, but it should have fans of the original groaning in approval.
DescriptionFight for survival in a zombie apocalypse with this heart-stopping first person shooter. Choose from an insane arsenal of combat weapons and battle against the walking dead in terrifying environments around the globe.
100+ million players are now battling for the future of mankind - can YOU make a difference?
“Hours of fun in marathon sessions or short bursts.” - Gamezebo.com
“The game is improving upon everything that made the first title great.” - ArcadeSushi.com
MASSIVE, CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED CONTENT. EVOLVING STORYLINES.
The Dead Trigger 2 universe is constantly expanding its frontiers. Every update features brand new content to make your game experience even more enjoyable.
• Battle your way through ten regions and explore 33 unique environments.
• Grab your favourite zombie annihilator from 50 types of weapon. Sharpen your shooting skills and take zombies out with a bullet to the head!
• Dive into the action with more than 600 gameplay scenarios, including Solo Campaign, Global Mission and Side Quests. Complete achievements, smash challenges and receive exclusive in-game currency.
You’ll be blown away by our frontier-pushing graphics, including real-time water reflections, dynamic vegetation, and enhanced ragdolls. Explore varied locations and kill the undead in diverse environments ranging from the deserted mines of Africa to the alleyways of Shanghai. The apocalypse never looked so good!
• Brutal enemies - Some of the easier to kill zombies might be a soft target for a sharpshooter, but you’ll need more than one shot for a formidable array of bosses. Get ready for Kamikaze, Vomitron and more - powerful walking dead with an inventive approach to your extinction.
• Awesome weapons - Get to grips with melee weapons like the Big Hammer, Boat Motor and Machete. What’s our favourite? Check out the Grenade Chickens, Rocket Chickens and special Machine Gun mounted to Chickens. You’re gonna love ‘em…
• Real time story development - Join the Global Resistance and tune in to stay informed as the global gameplay develops, where the actions of every single player can directly influence the tide of war. Immerse yourself in different types of operation including Story, Global Mission and Side Quests.
TONS OF FEATURES
• Tournaments for Real Prizes - Get ready for some serious shooting! Go to war with players from all over the world in the Arena, featuring custom combat gladiator rules every week. Become a legend in the new Purgatory arena…
• The Finger is Mightier Than the Gun - Choose between a touch control target system designed especially for casual players or an enhanced virtual joystick for FPS veterans. If you prefer console gaming, then go ahead - Dead Trigger 2 supports MOGA.
• Explore your personal hideout and meet the Gunsmith, Scientist, Smuggler and Engineer. These NPCs will help on your quest for survival as you unlock incredible new weapons and gadgets.
What's New in Version 1.5.6GREAT NEWS!!!
Dead Trigger 2 Update 1.5.6 is here.
It contains few bug fixes.
1.5.2 update info:
- Ironsight has been made visible in autofire mode
- All gameplay types are now available in Generic Missions
- EggLauncher now does the exact damage
We really appreciate all the feedback that you sent us.