World of Tanks Blitz Review
- Fantastic tank battling thanks to tight controls
- Well-sized arenas keep the action exciting
- Play as much as you like for free
- IAPs are not cheap
- Poor connections ruin matches
- Fun can be scuppered by random matchmaking
World of Tank Blitz is a game that will convince you to part with your cash, but with so much of its frantic tank-based fun offered for free you'll find yourself more than happy to do so.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
At its most reductive, World of Tank Blitz is a modern interpretation of the Atari classic Combat. But this mobile instalment the of tank-based arena warfare behemoth bring flair - and considerate monetisation - to the formula.
A quick tutorial teaches you nuances of manoeuvring your metal death-machine using the virtual stick, buttons, and various drop down menus. It is a familiar system, but one made unique thanks to your tanks methodical pace and cumbersome turning circle.
The goal of the seven-on-seven matches is to either hold a central point for 100 seconds, or wipe-out the enemy tanks. Well-designed arenas offer just enough space and cover to not feel oppressive, while ensuring you never have to search for a fight. This creates a constant intensity with games rarely reaching their seven minute time limit.
Encounters swing between hugely satisfying and rage-inducing, depending on the cooperation of your team. When playing with an organised team it's hard not to whoop with joy when a flanking manoeuvre works allowing you to blast a distracted enemy from behind. The flip side of this is when you find yourself in an disorganised rabble, and you must watch as your allies are picked off one by one, leaving you fighting a war single-handed.
Our biggest problem with Blitz came from connection issues. When working optimally, the dramatic tank blasting mayhem plays out at a smooth 60fps. Unfortunately, if your internet connection is patchy, you find yourself warping around the map or stuck frustratingly in place. However, even with the occasional issue, the online play was a good deal more reliable than most real-time iOS multiplayer games.
Blitz's most impressive feat is its use of the free-to-play model. Instead of restricting play with energy systems, Blitz limits the speed at which you unlock its vehicles and upgrades. With a different tech tree for the American, German, and Russian factions, you will have to know your Panzers from your Cunninghams as you choose your tracks and turrets.
As with all free-to-play games these vehicles unlock at good pace initially, but before long you are forced to either enter into a slow grind or start paying to rise up the tiers. However, with the grind so enjoyable, and endless play against lower level tiers on tap, it's a monetisation system that's hard to resent.
World of Tanks Blitz is a fantastic online tank blaster that lets you play as much as you like for free, while offering good incentives to invest in its IAPs. This makes Blitz a rare example of a free-to-play game that earns its money before ever asking you to spend a penny.
DescriptionMeet the Legendary Tank Shooter! Join a community of 100 million players all over the world. Battle in 7x7 format on your own or together with friends, research and upgrade armored vehicles, use various tactics, and win. Choose a tank and battle!
• An enormous world of tanks: over 350 unique and exclusive vehicles! Historically accurate vehicles, experimental tanks based on blueprints of famous engineers, armored monsters from popular alternative universes—here they all fight together!
• Dynamic 7x7 battles with different modes in over 25 locations. Each battle is unpredictable: the outcome depends on you and your team.
• Heavy action! In-game events with rare vehicles as rewards and battles with dramatically different gameplay. Become invisible (and not only) in Mad Games, test yourself in tough Realistic Battles, or... become a real little battle duck for April 1!
• A well-developed progression system Research vehicles from Tier I tanks to monstrous Tier X machines. Change guns, set equipment, wear camouflage—tune your vehicle to match your play-style!
• Spectacular graphics that automatically optimizes to your device. Manual settings will help you find the balance between the juicy picture and high FPS.
• Teamplay Create platoons with your friends or join a clan to battle together with like-minded players in Rating battles and to participate in tournaments with prizes!
The game requires at least 2.5 GB of free space and an Internet connection.
Learn more at https://wotblitz.com/
What's New in Version 6.7- They're firing MISSILES! Guided missiles. The American T92E1 and Sheridan can control the trajectory of missiles in flight and strike even the most impregnable targets. Watch out!
- Premium tanks for victories and credits. Get the Type 64 or T-34-3 in the lunar in-game event!
- To top it all off, there are more accumulative avatars, missions, new things, and other changes!