- App Store Info
Description[*Warning* Playing Frotz involves reading, thinking, and typing. If you just want to blow stuff up, this is not the app for you!]
Burned out on all the new-fangled graphics and dazzling eye candy on your shiny new iPhone or iPad? Nostalgic for a simpler time? Then take advantage of those crisp high-resolution fonts to relive the glory days of the Great Underground Empire, or play any of hundreds of great works from the Interactive Fiction archive.
Frotz lets you play free works of Interactive Fiction (a.k.a. text adventure games) on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.
Frotz plays titles written in the Z-Machine format. This format was invented by Infocom and was used to produce classic text adventures from the 80s such as the Zork Trilogy, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Trinity.
In the past decade, text adventures have experienced a renaissance due to the efforts of a diverse Internet community of talented interactive fiction writers and fans. Many of these games are written using the same engine that powered Infocom's titles, thanks to the Inform compiler and authoring system created by Graham Nelson.
NOTE! If you have suggestions for improving Frotz or encounter bugs, please go to the support link and report them. I have no way to respond if you only report bugs in reviews!
Frotz for iOS - Interactive Fiction at Your Fingertips
What's New in Version 1.7- UI makeover with support for iOS 7.
- Search Bar in Story List.
- Word auto-completion now uses the current game's vocabulary/dictionary.
- Fixed issues with accented characters/Unicode support.
- Improved support for graphics windows, inline images, and hyperlinks in glulx games.
- Fixed problem where VoiceOver wouldn't read new text right after the game clears the screen.
- Ability to long-press keyboard toggle button to hide and lock keyboard (for menu-only command input).
- Update to glk spec 0.7.4, git library 1.3.3.
- Now works again on 1st gen devices with iOS 3.
- Other minor bug fixes.