MAGENTA English<>Greek Dictionary Ideal for English Speakers
- App Store Info
DescriptionMAGENTA English-Greek & Greek-English dictionary designed for those who are not native Greek speakers.
■ Entries: 311,228
■ Words: 2,000,000
■ Lexicographer: Panagiotis Tsampounaras
This unique product is the pinnacle of the rich lexicographic career of the illustrious lexicographer Panagiotis Tsampounaras. It contains many innovations and it follows an original lexicographical approach: Although it is extremely useful to Greek speakers, it has been designed with the English speakers in mind, and the definitions are constructed in a way which makes them easily comprehensible to English speakers.
WHAT DO WE MEAN BY “IDEAL FOR ENGLISH SPEAKERS”?
Lets consider what Greek speakers want out of a dictionary. What Greek speakers expect from a bidirectional English-Greek dictionary is mainly the information about the English words, their translation, pronunciation, the examples of usage or idioms, etc. An exemplary lexicographical approach for Greek speakers is the English-Greek-English electronic dictionary GOLDEN VERSION (also available for iPhone, iPod Touch,iPad).
Now let us consider what English speakers want out of a dictionary (when we say English speakers we include non-native speakers of the English language whose mother tongue may not be English). They speak English, they know the pronunciation of words but do not know the pronunciation of Greek words, the parts of speech, the genders, and the examples of usage / idioms with Greek words. This novelty is what makes this dictionary ideal for English speakers.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN TOPIC DESCRIPTIONS?
Each topic is described through a series of information:
- Part of speech
- Special usage depending on sciences, professions, and country of origin (USA or United Kingdom)
- Written pronunciation of Greek words
- Each type of information is displayed using a different colour so that easily you can focus on what you are looking for
DOES IT NEED INTERNET CONNECTION?
No, you can use this dictionary offline.
Fast word search, results appear in a fraction of a second!
Different colours are used for different types of information, so that you can easily read it and focus on the information you are looking for.
The dictionary uses "Dictionaries Explorer for iPhone & iPod Touch", the new interface by Magenta.
What's New in Version 11- User interface supports GREEK, ENGLISH, FRENCH, GERMAN, ITALIAN and SPANISH.
- Major and minor fixes resolving all known bugs reported by users.
- Improved, faster look-up!
- SEND TOPICS BY E-MAIL. You can share the dictionary's topics with your family, friends, colleagues, classmates and students. While viewing a topic's description you can just tap the button and create an e-mail in your default e-mail client with topic description as the message body. Then, select the recipients, add your comments and tap Send!
- PUBLISH TOPICS ON FACEBOOK. You can publish the dictionary's topics on your Facebook Wall. While viewing a topic's description you can just tap the button and create a Facebook post with topic title and description. Then, add your comments and tap Post!
- SMS. You can send the dictionary's topics as SMS messages. While viewing a topic's description you can just tap the button and create the SMS message in the SMS client with topic description as the message body. Then, select the recipients, add your comments and tap Send! Large messages are split into smaller ones according to SMS limitations.
- BOOKMARKS. Yes! Now you can have bookmarks! The translated topics are automatically added into your history list. You can also organize topics into groups. Then, while viewing topics you can just tap on the button, select the group and add the current topic. Additionally, you can delete topics from groups or delete entire groups and rename group names.
- NATIVE iPAD APPLICATION. The dictionary is provided as a native iPad application with all related features.
- FONT SIZE CHANGE. You can now resize the fonts in topics descriptions by using the pinch gesture.