- Really bright and cheerful presentation combined with an epic score.
- Lots of unit variety, and a great balance between choosing to build or move units.
- Set up well for online play.
- No AI opponents.
If you're looking for a competitive turn based strategy game, Outwitters delivers with an easy to grasp play system and the ability to have numerous games playing at the same time.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
It's been a while since we've seen a release from One Man Left Studios. Years ago they released the fantastic Tilt to Live, and aside from updating that game with new modes and features, nothing else has surfaced... until now that is. Outwitters is a turn based strategy game that pits you against the rest of the internet in either 1v1 or 2v2 match-ups.
You can play league games which pit you against players of the same skill level as you rank up; you can play against random opponents; or if you have friends in the same room, you can pass and play on the same device. The question of course is whether the gameplay can sustain an extended level of competition, or if this is a system that players will tire of quickly.
The goal of the game is to use your units to destroy the opponents' base. You get five points a round. These can be used to create new units (with different units costing different amounts of points); to move and attack with your existing units; or to save up for the next round.
The board is split into a hexagonal grid. Each unit has a different movement and attack range, as well as different amounts of damage, and varied hit points. For instance, the sniper can only move one hex a turn but can shoot three hexes, can cause three damage, but only takes one hit. Some units are more utilitarian such as the scout and the medic, but with such a great selection of units that create the opportunity for plenty of unique combinations, you can also react to your opponent's decisions, making the strategy landscape unique and exciting.
There is a store that for the moment has different skins to purchase for your team (in case for instance you want your units to be disgustingly cute to put your opponents off their game), but new maps and other additions look to be added there in the future.
The ability to have multiple games going at the same time makes one think of games like Words with Friends and Draw Something, where part of the draw is the ability to constantly jump from one game to the next. Thanks to this and the league play option, you'll always be certain you can find an interesting match as long as there are people playing.
With bright and colorful visuals and a sweeping score, if you're looking for a turn based strategy games to play against both friends and complete strangers, Outwitters is worth a purchase. After all, if One Man Left support this game like their previous effort, there will be plenty of content rolling out to enjoy for quite a while.
DescriptionApp Store Editor’s Choice Selection
Featured in the App Store’s Best of 2012
Among TouchArcade.com’s Best Strategy & Defense Games of 2012
It’s a battle of wits against friends or strangers! Take turns maneuvering your troops through the fog of war in 1 on 1 or 2 vs 2 battles. The first player to destroy the enemy base wins. Four races are at your disposal, each with a unique special unit to master. Will you fight alongside a hermit crab cannon, a brainwasher, a creeping thorny octopus, or a troop-teleporting narwhal?
• Take turns asynchronously, or pass the device
• 1-on-1 or 2-on-2 mayhem!
• Battle players of similar skill with league placement & matchmaking
• New seasons arrive to shake up the leaderboards
• Use your Game Center account and friends list
• Cross-platform play
• A universal app with retina support
What's New in Version 2.0.1Note on IAP from 1.x users: Please go to the in-game store, scroll down, and tap 'restore purchases' to restore previously bought content for free.
- Fixed game crash with users with large lists of friends
- Fixed turn list hanging when signing into gamecenter
- Fixed black screen bug when exiting games via double tapping 'to games'
- Fixed games list getting sorted incorrectly when coming from in-game
- Outwitters rebuilt from the ground up!
- Native iPhone 6 and 6 Plus support. Higher resolution graphics for newer devices!
- See more of the map on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8 compatibility
- Cross platform play
- Games now auto-refresh if you're in-game while receiving a new turn. Makes for faster real-time play!
- Push Notifications sent and received faster
- Better frame rates
- Several new and improved animations
- Turns now auto-submit when you've run out of wits
- League is displayed in friends list when adding a friend to a game
- And many more improvements...