- A good effort from an indy developer
- Good control
- Repetitive gameplay
- Upgrades take too long to acquire
A good first effort from John E. Hartzog. The game doesn't contain much lasting power, but it is well made. We'll be keeping a lookout for his next game.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
It's always good to see independent developers creating games for the iPhone. StickWars is the effort of John E Hartzog and is a tower defense game involving stick figures. You have a wall which you can repair and fortify with more health. Little stick figures with weapons keep sieging this wall, and it's your job to dispose of them.
Control works very well. To remove the stick figures, you simply use your finger to flick them up into the air, allowing gravity to take its course on the way down. Later when you build a prison, you can drag enemies into the prison, and convert them into fighters for your cause. The prison mechanic is interesting but it takes so much playtime to get some of the upgrades (like the archery pit, or bomb factory), that the upgrades don't seem that special.
Can you expect much from stick figures visually? The background and wall is nice, and the characters do move amusingly, but the art is not meant to be spectacular here. Likewise, the music and sound effects while functional don't leave a lasting impression. The main game mode is all there is, but there are online leaderboards and achievements to pad the experience.
Overall, StickWars is fun for a little while, but the enjoyment wears off quickly. If flicking stick figures to their death sounds fun to you, you should give this a go, just be warned that's pretty much all you'll be doing.
DescriptionStickWars 2 is FREE (was $0.99) for a limited time!
Look for it in the iTunes App Store!
StickWars is a fast-paced, action-packed game that requires lightning-fast fingers and cunning strategy. Defend your kingdom against the invading stick figure army.
Tap, flick, and shake your way to victory in the top castle defense game for iPhone/iPod touch.
- Unlimited rounds. Play until you’re defeated.
- Shake to deploy bombers, and again to detonate!
- Use multi-touch to command your wizards, casting meteors and other spells.
- Use captured stick figures to build up defense.
- Two free StickWars Ultimate Challenge games.
- Challenge OpenFeint friends to beat your score with push notifications (requires OS 3.0 or above).
- Online high score rankings.
- Earn free Extras! Get cool stuff like:
- New Death Bunny Horde enemy
- Devastating fire archer upgrade
Follow us on Facebook! http://facebook.com/StickWars
Visit our forums at http://johnehartzog.com/forums/ for hints, update information and more.