Gangstar: West Coast Hustle Review
- The game’s visuals are great and very detailed.
- The controls make for fun and simple gameplay.
- A long story mode, plenty of side missions and other activities will keep you interested.
- This is a single player game only, with no multiplayer options.
- Police AI offer almost no challenge, which isn’t as fun when in a crime based game.
- The story relies solely on the Latino gang member stereotype, which gets a bit much after a while.
If you are a fan of sandbox action games, and you can get over the steep current price, then this is a great buy and will keep you entertained for hours.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
West Coast Hustle is a GTA inspired action game where players take control of a gang member and proceed through a series of missions making new contacts and earning cash as you go.
The player controls the main character by a moving a joystick on the screen and attacks or uses weapons by tapping a button. Other action specific events, such as stealing a car or shopping can also be accessed by an onscreen prompt. Driving has two control options though, either tilting the iPhone to steer and pressing gas and brake pedals or using a steering wheel to turn and a lever to accelerate. Either way, the controls are simple and most importantly, work well.
The games visuals are fantastic, the cityscape is presented in great detail and the game looks like it belongs on a handheld console. The sound is diverse and offers a range of radio stations when driving, each with different genres and the hilarious ads typically found in games like GTA. Players also have the option to use their iPod music as well, which is always fun.
This really is a great game and is surprisingly detailed for an iPhone game. The amount of content available is very impressive and the controls make for easy and fun gameplay. There are a few small issues with the game, such as poor police AI, but besides that, this game is a must have for fans of GTA and other crime oriented sandbox action games.
DescriptionOPTIMIZED FOR iPHONE 4! High-definition graphics that fully utilize the iPhone 4 Retina display.
“This is a game that flaunts a lot of bling - slick visuals, functional controls, challenging missions - and it far surpasses any previous effort at open world gameplay on iPhone. “ (PocketGamer. 8/10, Silver Award).
"The iPhone has so far seen both 2D (Car Jack Streets) and 2.5D (Payback) GTA clones but, as yet, iPhone gamers have not had a fully 3D world in which to wreak the particular sort of inner-city mayhem that has made the genre so popular. Thanks to Gameloft, that's about to change." (Touch Arcade)
"An open-world crime epic is pretty ambitious for the iPhone (…) but it looks like Gameloft has assembled the tech to make it happen" (IGN)
Move to the West Coast and immerse yourself in L.A. gang life with Gangstar. Explore more realistic environments than ever for a unique gameplay experience. Complete 50 different missions that combine the best of action games and driving games.
- A unique feeling of freedom: Drive for miles and miles in massive, open-ended environments. Feel free to complete missions at your own pace, or just do absolutely anything you want!
- The first iPhone game that displays such a high level of graphics: a full-3D reconstruction of an entire city with detailed buildings, beautiful landscapes and impressive cars that animate and take crash damage.
- Get rich or die trying! Explore the city, shoot and fight, steal vehicles, kill your enemies, and drive or walk anywhere. Go from rags to riches by connecting with relatives and helping out their gang. But beware of the police!
- Intuitive gameplay: Drive a variety of vehicles easily thanks to touch controls, and aim at a target simply by touching it on the screen. Shooting sequences are even more enjoyable thanks to the auto-aiming system.
- Be a Gangster your way. Choose your favorite radio station (hip-hop, rap, reggae, electro, Californian punk rock, etc), or listen to your own music stored on your iPhone!
Follow the official Twitter account to get more info about the game: http://twitter.com/Gangstar_game