Slingshot Racing Review
- Publisher: Crescent Moon Games
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 24 May, 2012
- Size: 46.7 MB
- Price: $0.99
- Beautiful steam-punk winter-wonderland; stunning lighting effects for each time of day.
- Multiple tracks with 4 gameplay modes to play with.
- Local multiplayer; perfect for the iPad.
- No online play for those with smaller iDevices.
- Content stretched thin; slow to introduce or highlight new features.
Slingshot Racing is a refreshingly beautiful and elegant racer that may not be as hardcore as similar titles, but combines simple controls with skilled timing perfectly.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Touchscreens offer a unique opportunity for a developer to think outside the box to come up with something unique and interesting, but those that stray too far away may find themselves addressing a niche audience. Snowbolt Interactive and Crescent Moon Games strike a happy balance between innovation and reimagination by creating an elegant top-down racer that requires little more than a tap to play.
Each track is made of ice and your 'racer' is more akin to a sled. As such it has no motor of its own and requires a nudge to move. By tapping and holding down on the screen you'll automatically launch a line to the closest rotating pole, allowing you to slingshot your way around corners.
Letting go will launch you tangentially from the arc you were traveling in, but you'll still have to contend with basic physics, which means you'll want to find the optimal 'line' to travel in to keep up your speed. Steam boosters can provide a temporary speed-up, but you'll need to modify your timing accordingly.
All of this takes place in a stunningly realized steam-punk world that looks utterly gorgeous on the iPhone 4S.
If you happen to own an iPad you can also share this fun game with up to three other friends in a local-multiplayer mode with AI support. Each player takes up a corner of the screen for tapping, and while this mode is also available for the iPhone, the larger screen definitely helps.
Whether you're skating around for Time Trial high-scores; beating AI opponents in a quick race; collecting cogs in the 'Pickup' mode; or avoiding having your sled munched by the dreaded Chomper, Slingshot Racing makes for an incredibly simple, yet well realized racer for the iOS.
DescriptionSlingshot Racing is an original racing game developed exclusively for iOS devices.
Behold a beautiful steampunk environment with ice tracks, grappling hooks, snowmen and more!
Pro Tip: To deploy the hook try picking a corner of the screen and just keep pressing there. You do not need to press on the towers to slingshot.
• Touch Arcade 4.5/5 'Mobile Racing Redefined'
• iPhone Alley 4.5/5 'Beautifully Redefines the Common Racing Formula'
• Apple n' Apps 4.5/5 'Slingshot Racing is a must buy that will have you hooked from the first slingshot.'
• 148apps 4.5/5 'Snowbolt and Crescent Moon have absolutely nailed this game'
• Gamezebo 4/5 'Silky smooth one-touch racing gameplay.'
• TouchGen 4/5 'As multiplayer games on one device go I think Slingshot Racing is hard to beat.'
• App Advice: 'A New Genre Of Racing Emerges In Slingshot Racing'
• AppSpy 4/5
• App-Score 9/10 'Slingshot Racing is one of the most innovative games we've playing in a long time'
Use your grappling hook to slingshot around corners in this fast paced arcade style racer. Hone your skills by learning on the tutorial tracks, then blast out of the snow onto more complex tracks against other racers. Race around a selection of tracks in stunning day and night settings.
Career mode features 80 races with different objectives and settings. Take part in a simple straight race to the top spot on the podium. The pickups race pits you against the clock to collect all the cogs on the track as quickly as possible. The time trials offer you the chance to shave all important seconds and compare your times with others on the Game Center leaderboards. Alternatively prove your mettle by taking on the fearsome chomper as it hunts you around the track.
With 4 way multiplayer you can race family or friends on a single device or through Game Center. With just a few clicks you can create mini tournaments the way you like or just mix it up with a quick random selection.
• iOS 6 support
• Super addictive gameplay
• Revolutionary controls, easy to pickup and difficult to master
• Stunning Retina graphics for iPad, iPhone and iPod
• Gorgeous 3D effects, shadows, and particle systems
• Game Center Leaderboards, Achievements and Challenges
• 4 player simultaneous play on one iPad or iPhone! Play against your whole family!
• 4 player online tournaments through Game Center for iOS 5+ users.
• iCloud supported so your game progress is available on all your devices
• Tweet or Post your high scores on Facebook
iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 3rd Generation (32GB and up), iPod Touch 4th and 5th generation, iPad (all versions).
Follow us for the latest info and game news!