Granny Smith Review
- Elegantly simple controls; jumping, flipping and grabbing on to objects all feel 'just right'.
- Material breaking physics add a fun element to the visuals; great to watch in replay mode.
- Odd physics glitches / level design bugs can force you to have to restart; not game-breaking, but irritating to occasionally encounter.
- No real depth to the content; easy to blast your way through with nothing left to do.
Granny Smith is a light distraction for platforming fans and those who enjoy 2D racers to blast through in an afternoon; guaranteed to leave with a smile.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Mediocre have a grip on physics. That's a lame pun, and I may be scientifically inaccurate there too, but the sentiment is definitely true. Sprinkle was an amazingly cute and complex title that made use of some of the best fluid physics seen on the App Store and the team is back with Granny Smith. Instead of putting out fires you're chasing down thieves on roller-skates and crashing through the countryside and cityscape in an attempt to recover your delicious fruit.
Like any great iOS title, the game keeps its controls light and simple. One button allows you to jump and flip through the air, while the other allows you to reach out to grab objects or slide on ropes. With these tools alone you'll need to out-pace the thief to collect the apples scattered throughout the stage, going on a roller-coaster ride that will have you delving in to mines and bashing your way through malls in the process.
Coins litter the stage and can be used to purchase various power-ups such as helmets to prevent coin-loss; banana skins to slip-up the wily thief; and baseballs to slug him in the back of the head and also to destroy walls in your path. This last use is what will separate the Sunday Drivers from the Superstars - time your throws just right and you'll be able to keep your momentum, potentially picking up even more coins or that last elusive apple on the stage.
There are other uses for the coins too, namely to skip levels or purchase alternate characters early on. You'll earn plenty in the process of clearing each stage though, so don't feel pressured to rush your way through the game's 36 currently available stages. In fact you'll want to take your time as it won't take long to finish, though getting perfect runs will give you some longevity and is well worth it for the challenge.
Granny Smith doesn't revolutionize the use of physics like Sprinkle did, but it adds a fun twist to the speedy racing that's all the more enjoyable to watch in slow-motion replay. A great distraction to eat up a spare afternoon.
DescriptionFrom the makers of Sprinkle!
"Granny Smith feels like the climactic chase scene of a Wallace & Gromit cartoon" [slide to Play]
"Gaming app of the day" [Kotaku]
"Another great looking release from the Sprinkle crew, one that provides hours of entertainment without a steep learning curve" [JayIsGames]
"The graphics have been polished to perfection, and have an almost Pixar-like appearance." [GameTrailers]
Granny Smith loves her apples, but a bewheeled thief is stealing from her precious garden! Help Mrs. Smith as she swiftly skates through farmland and cityscapes, crashing through everything from barns to offices in the pursuit of fruit. Get to the apples before the thief does!
Granny Smith is a fast-paced racing platformer filled with spectacular crashes and amazing stunts. Jump, glide, swing and smash your way through 57 hand-crafted levels in four distinct settings. Just be sure to land on your feet!
* Spectacular physics – Granny Smith uses some of the most advanced destruction physics in mobile games. Crash through crates and windows and watch the pieces fly all over!
* Dazzling visuals – Zoom through dozens of vibrant, whimsical worlds! Each level is like a fanciful, three-dimensional storybook.
* Intuitive controls – Help Granny pull off crazy moves with simple two-button controls – perfect for both tablets and phones.
* Vintage replays – Watch your best runs in retro movie style with cool camera angles and slow-motion effects!
* Power Granny up – Collect coins and equip Granny with a helmet, banana peels and baseballs. If Granny is getting old, you have two alternative characters to play with – Scruffy and Stanley!
With the apple thief on the loose, Granny is going to need some help. Hop to it!