SHOOTER - THE OFFICIAL MOVIE GAME Review
- Publisher: Paramount Digital Entertainment
- Genre: Action
- Released: 20 Feb, 2009
- Size: 80.4 MB
- Price: $0.99
- Good looking and varied visual presentation.
- There are some decent weapon and accessory customisation options.
- The game has plenty of levels to play through; around 30 or so.
- The game’s controls are very hard to use properly, even after adjusting tilt sensitivity.
- Some of the voice acting in the cut-scenes is pretty bad.
- The game’s loading between binoculars and rifle is very distracting.
Shooter is a game that has a strong presentation and potential but is ultimately let down by it’s hard to use controls and difficult gameplay.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Shooter is the next movie adaptation for the iPhone, this time cashing in on the Shooter franchise. You play as a Special Forces sniper as you complete a number of missions, taking out numerous targets from far away using your high powered sniper rifle. The game offers two modes; story (which is loosely based off the film) and arcade (for some casual play).
The gameplay itself comprises of two parts; finding your targets using binoculars and then taking them out with the sniper rifle. You’ll have to locate and lock onto a target's location before you can start shooting. There are some beefy loading times between these two events however and seem like a constant reminder that you’re playing a game.
The game uses tilt controls and while this seems like a good idea in a sniper game, they just don’t work well here. And for a game that requires pin-point accuracy, you’ll wish for some better controls after a short while and some failed missions. Visually however, the game looks great and the environments and enemies are varied enough to keep things fresh. The sound is decent but some of the voice acting is quite poor and players cannot use their iPod during gameplay.
If you absolutely loved the film, then Shooter the official game might be worth a look at. While it may not be the most streamlined or sleek sniper shooting game on the market, it does offer some moderate gameplay; and hopefully you can get past the game’s weak control scheme to enjoy what’s on offer here.
“…one of the best shooting games that the iPhone users have ever seen or played.” - iPhoneapps.org
“Overall, Shooter is a well presented game with surprising depth…it’s leaps and bounds above the sniping competition...” - iphonegamenetwork.com
“this app and the depth of story and fun sniping gameplay that it offers, I cannot find a reason why you wouldn't try this app out.” - Appvee.com
“Shooter fires off plenty of satisfying action” - pocketgamer.co.uk
“If you like first person shooters, or the sniper based games already then you’ll love Shooter.” - Iphonecommunity.org
Shooter - The Official Movie Game is one of the first true 1st person shooters to be released on the iPhone and iPod Touch. As Gunnery Sergeant Bob Lee Swagger, you must clear your name after being accused of an assassination attempt on the President. Stealthy pursuit, a steady hand and nerves of steel will allow you to eliminate those responsible.
- Over Thirty High Stakes Sniping Levels: Earn medals and rewards through the successful completion of dangerous assignments while progressing through training sessions and multiple missions that feature challenging bosses.
- Large Arsenal of Guns, Weapons, Equipment and Camouflage - Choose from different sniper rifles, silencers, and scopes to neutralize hostiles from long range or use pistols, grenades, and pipe bombs to take out your targets in close quarters combat. Dress to match your surroundings and to elude return fire.
- First Person Sniper Perspective - Use the accelerometer to zero in on your targets with your binoculars and scope. Distance and wind must also be factored into your shot.
- Nighttime Missions - Use night vision to target your enemy in a variety of challenging shooting conditions.
- Detailed Mission Environments - Execute missions in the deserts, cityscapes, forests, mountains and snow, each of which requires specialized skills.
- Mini-Games and Puzzles – Successfully complete these tasks to continue through the storyline. Use your varied skill set, to cleverly pass the deadly games.
Overcome the odds to uncover the conspiracy and clear your name. And don't forget to visit the iTunes Shooter movie page and add this film to your iTunes movie library.