The Hero - 2nd Edition Review
- Quick-paced gameplay and an amusing story.
- Amazing "golden era" comic art style.
- Perfectly implemented touch and tilt controls.
- Fairly short campaign, even with two difficulty levels.
The Hero puts you in control of the penultimate superhero who's only challenge is to avoid being unpopular, so try not to blow up too many cars while saving babies from the zombie plague.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
So, imagine you're a super hero. Of course you're invincible; have crazy super powers like flying, freeze rays and super speed; and without a doubt you're covered in spandex. Enter, The Hero by Chillingo and Traplight Games - an action title that finds you in the role of a superhero attempting to save the world while sparing the time to give his fans a high-five or two.
In each of the game's levels you must defend the city from a plague of attacks ranging from basic fires to insect infestations or the occasional dropped baby. Stick or tilt based controls will smoothly maneuver your hero around the level, but while the stick is far more accurate and extremely useful at higher difficulty levels, flying around with th`e tilt controls is a whole bag of fun that the stick can't compare to.
The art is simply gorgeous with its 2.5D cell-shaded graphics that are paired with amazingly well designed hand-drawn background art. iTunes isn't supported for background music, but with its cheesy classic "heroic" themes it'd almost be blasphemy to try listening to anything else. Besides the story mode there is an endless-gameplay option and for those who own a 3GS the graphics can be boosted for smoother animations.
The Hero is a class act, from its frantic gameplay that has you charging around endlessly to save the seemingly oblivious citizens to its amazing art style that is never dull to behold. This is a must try game for anyone after a game to truly show off their Touch device.
DescriptionTake to the skies and live the high life as a muscle-bound, superhero playboy. Catch falling babies, douse towering infernos, battle giant insects and thwack thieving crooks as you amass ever-increasing fame and adulation. The Hero is a lightning-fast arcade romp that sizzles with comic book style, sassy characters and superhuman gameplay.
TouchArcade: "The Hero' is a Highly Stylized and Manic Superhero Escapade!"
PocketGamer: "The Hero is a highly polished game that’s easy to pick up and contains plenty of heroic hilarity! 8/10 rating"
TouchGen: "The Hero is tremendous arcade style fun. For only $1.99 it certainly packs a punch! 4/5 rating"
Though his true identity is unknown, the one they call The Hero lives the fast-track, whirlwind life of an A-list celebrity. Speeding from world-threatening crises to world famous interviews, he’s a deliciously enigmatic mystery to his adoring fans and a fearsome force of destruction to his enemies.
The Hero’s arch-nemesis, the deranged evil screwball Dr. Hubbub, is at large once again and bent on taking over the world’s glitziest cities in a maelstrom of chaos and all out bedlam. As the world teeters on the brink of catastrophe, the Chief and his voluptuous secretary, Miss Rose, turn to The Hero to save the world from the diabolical plans of the nefarious Dr. Hubbub.
Fly to the rescue, arcing gracefully through gorgeous cityscapes as you speed to the aid of scores of helpless victims. Call upon Freeze, Boom and Zapp powers to wallop Dr. Hubbub’s evil henchmen into submission.
Fill the Fame meter and The Hero’s ego by dishing out high fives to your adoring fans as you soar past their windows.
• Gameplay Modes: Fight Dr. Hubbub’s crime wave in cities around the world in Campaign Mode, or battle an endless onslaught of sinister villains in Survival Mode.
• Three Super Powers: Freeze, Boom and Zapp! for dispatching nameless minions in style.
• Over 20 Different Enemy Units: Powerful clashes ranging from snake bots and satellites to zombies and the military.
• Over 20 (slightly) Insane Awards: Boast about your superhero flair by unlocking new achievements and awards – including one that involves electrocuting a baby!
• Two Difficulty Levels: Dismantle Dr. Hubbub’s evil empire at your own pace in Easy mode, or go after hard-earned fame and fortune in Hard mode.
• Two Control Options: Choose between a d-pad or tilt controls to maneuver The Hero on his daring, crime fighting antics.
• Classic 2D Visuals complete with frenetic screen-filling battles lushly detailed cities all served up in a vivid comic book style.
• Save four international metropolises from Dr. Hubbub’s chaotic attempts at world domination.
• 15 Campaign Levels: Tackle a dizzying range of different objectives and challenges.
• Online Leader Boards: Showcase your superhuman gaming powers by posting your sky-high scores online.
• Hip toe-tapping soundtrack by renowned electro artist JESSE.
• Enhanced mode for iPhone 3GS owners, boosting The Hero’s already lightening fast speeds to 60 frames per second.
What's New in Version 1.1- A Fully revised gameplay and scoring model
- 3 Brand New minigames
* Bomb Run
- Levels are now packed with even more action
- New super bonus from high five streaks