Uber Racer 3D - Sandstorm Review
- Plenty of unlockable and upgradeable vehicles to use.
- Unique traits for each car.
- Semi-realistic physics.
- Sharp 3D positional audio.
- Simple pick-up and play controls.
- No sensitivity options or alternate controls.
- No 'catch up' AI; though practice rounds smooth out the difficulty.
Uber Racer 3D - Sandstorm isn't as fully featured as some larger titles, but for those after a solid racer that provides a great challenge and well designed courses without the 'realism', this is for you.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Resources are depleted, oil's the most valuable thing on earth, currency useless, racers compete for oil - blah blah blah; I appreciate the effort on the story for Uber Racer 3D - Sandstorm by Mad Processor, but when an arcade racer is this rock solid all I need to know is where the accelerator is and why I'm not already flipping cars in to a ravine.
Much like any good Arcade Racer, you won't need to fuss around with gears or nonsense concepts like 'physics don't work that way' and once you're strapped in to your car all you need to do is jab the screen with a finger to 'go'. Tilting your iDevice translates in to steering in-game and sliding your finger up on the accelerator will trigger your 'boost' to gain that critical edge when it's needed. Vehicle handling can be quite tricky, especially as there's no sensitivity option for the tilting, however each of the game's unlockable cars feel quite different, giving advantages on some of the game's tracks, while being a burden on others.
Now, while I say 'physics don't work that way', I should clarify that Sandstorm is incredibly detailed in the physics it does use, resulting in cars that can feel floaty if you rise over a crest too quickly and your suspension hasn't kicked in or rolling your car if you hit an object while taking a corner at high speed. Each car and track feels tuned to provide an equal balance of risk and reward, allowing skilled drivers to really shine through.
Lastly, it's often understated, but a game's sound plays as much of a role in immersion as the controls, gameplay or story and being able to hear another driver sitting behind me thanks to 3D positional audio is fantastic. It's quite spooky to hear just how accurate the audio is and soon you'll find yourself unconsciously blocking off an opponent's path just to keep the razor-thin lead you have. Uber Racer 3D - Sandstorm is all about fun, fast and furious racing and it doesn't fail to deliver; a multiplayer mode feels like an obvious omission, however it's hard to complain when you're already having this much fun.
DescriptionIf you like this game, please check out our new title Parcel Panic 2 - it's free, too!
GRAB YOUR COPY AND JOIN OVER A MILLION OF PLAYERS NOW!
Enjoy the most spectacular racing game in the App Store!
Are you tired of playing racing games that confine you to a single track you are not supposed to leave? Do you want to break free from unrealistic racing games? Do you want the possibilities and graphics you know from your console or PC on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad?
Well, then Uber Racer 3D - Sandstorm is just for you!
In a world where mankind is burning its final resources a few fearless warriors race for the last drops of oil. Will you stand up to become the next Uber Racer?
- GAME CENTER compete with your friends and the global leaderboard
- 10 UNIQUE ENVIRONMENTS.
- HIGHLY DETAILED GRAPHICS without repeating textures (i. e. every rock is painted differently).
- CAREER MODE with 31 race days, some of them featuring up to 10 events. Several hours of playtime.
- 3D MENU, completely integrated.
- REALTIME SHADOWS
- 4 RACE MODES: Time Trial, Elimination, 1 Vs 1, Race.
- THUMB TRACKING: Don't care about hitting the gas pedal. It's wherever your thumb is.
- Select your favourite CAMERA: Third person, hood or bumper.
- The same version runs on the iPad and iPhone (universal app).
- 3D SOUND with stereo output and positional audio. For a full and immersive sound experience make sure you are using headphones!
- REALISTIC MOTOR SOUND, engine simulation, backfire
- 3D CAR PHYSICS with suspension, damping and drifting
- 15 CARS individually upgradable. Ranging from buggies to race cars and trucks.
- DAMAGE MODEL based on real impact damage, flapping doors, loose hinges
What's New in Version 1.7- Fixed issues with in-app-purchase
- Minor performance tweaks