Twang the Fox Review
- Publisher: Prodigy Design Limited T/A Sidhe Interactive
- Genre: Adventure
- Released: 6 Sep, 2012
- Size: 36.4 MB
- Price: $2.99
- Some of the power-ups are a lot of fun.
- Slow game speed.
- Focus power is unnecessary.
A cute animal and a cute premise meant to entice the younger players, and while the gameplay is not too taxing, it's not entirely enjoyable either, mostly due to the pacing.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Twang is an acrobatic fox that works for the circus to provide for his cubs. The evil Boscoe Carnivale has kidnapped them and mounting a rescue attempt will take all your tumbling prowess as you ascend ever skywards with all manner of obstacles in your way. Twang the Fox is one of those vertical platformers where you draw a line underneath your character to propel them ever further upwards, but really the word platformer may be misleading. Really this is like a rubber band aided game of pinball, collecting fruit and then locking the fox away in the multiball portal slot until it's time to use it in the next level to obtain a higher score... but I may be getting ahead of myself.
The levels start with Twang hovering still at the start of your vertical climb. Dragging your finger will draw a rubber band that will propel him based on the direction you drew. A short flick of your finger will light up the band and propel him higher, while long bands will not give him much lift at all. This rewards a more precise aim rather than trying to stretch a catch all band across the level (as that won't get you very far). Along the way there is also fruit to collect. Your star rating at the end of the level is based on collecting all the fruit and finishing the stage under a certain time. Then soon enough the pinball bumpers appear as well as such additions as bombs as directional highways.
While these additions spice up the gameplay, the pace of things just seems a little too slow. The fox tends to only lazily obey gravity, and when the bumpers or highways speed up his travel, it feels more close to the speed the normal game should be at. Obviously with its rich colour palette and cute vulpine main character, the game is more likely to appeal to younger players, but with this in mind, the pacing seems like an even greater misstep.
But Twang the Fox is well made, and while it doesn't do anything exceptionally new or novel with its core concept, it is worth a play, especially if you want to send a fox careening between a bunch of bumpers while trying to collect watermelons.
Description"Help! My wife and cubs have been kidnapped! Please can you help me rescue them!"
Join Twang the Fox as he embarks on an heroic adventure mixing addictive platforming gameplay with intuitive one-touch controls.
Get ready for an epic journey through vibrant worlds, full of numerous crazy contraptions and fiendish mechanical foes. Get Foxy!
Pocket Gamer - Bronze award "another entertaining, impeccably presented endeavour from ever-reliable publisher PikPok"
148apps - 4/5 "FOX FLINGING FUN"
The Appshack - 5/5 "another PikPok published game that just about everyone will enjoy"
GamerChica - 9.2 "A Fun And Beautiful Game That No Gamer Should Miss"
Developed by Conix Games and published by PikPok, Twang the fox features:
• Unique twanging mechanics! Draw the band and help Twang bounce to victory!
• Take control time with Matrix-style '"Fox Focus"!
• 60 challenging levels across 6 wondrous worlds!
• Collect all the mascots in each level and try for a perfect 3 star rating!
• Your eyeballs will thank you regularly on account of the pretty retina graphics!
• Not to mention iCloud support, tons of fiendish foes, crazy contraptions, miscellaneous fruit, leaderboards, foxes, achievements, carnies, zero gravity and more!
What's New in Version 1.2Hey Twangers! Here's what's new in this update:
* Twang is now iPhone 5 Compatible and makes full use of all that extra screen size!
* Stalls/Crashes on boot should now be fixed
* As well as a whole host of other general stability tweaks