- Unique hexagonal based three-match style.
- Excellent 'Magic' puzzle mode.
- Complicated boards.
- Slow gameplay to master.
Hexagonal tiles add a new literal twist to the three-match genre, but HexaRot's gameplay is an acquired taste.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Three-match games are a dime a dozen, with many games even opting to include them as a gameplay mechanic with an entirely separate genre. HexaRot by Jozsef Kern trys to stand out by being more of a brain-teaser, replacing a traditional grid with hexagonal wheels that must be turned to line-up patterns.
There's more than a bit of adjustment required in mastering this new matching technique and at times it borders on being more like a puzzle than a quick-fire three match game. The Timed and Relax modes play like a more traditional variation on three-match where the player touches to select and rotate wheels. Sadly there's little room for cascading matches which makes them feel more labored instead of the 'Wow did I do that?' moments that are typical to the genre.
The alternate Magic mode is a true brain tickler with players required to return a mixed up board to a specific pattern. The real let down for HexaRot is the interface which is easy enough to learn, but without mastering it you're quickly left frustrated as you attempt to work out how to make a match. It's possible that the amount of colors used for each grid is required to prevent too much cascading, but the assorted mix of pastels like salmon, goldenrod and sea-spray green can quickly confuse the eye.
HexaRot is certainly a unique game and if you're after something new it'll definitely give you a challenge, but with so many rewarding match games available it's hard to recommend.
DescriptionHexaRot is an addictive puzzle game, where the main goal is to put three or more triangles of the same color together by rotating hexagons with your finger.
This brain twisting game has three different game modes:
• Time Wheel – Match as many triangles as you can, but be quick – the time is running out! The mode features 30 diverse levels and they get more and more difficult as you proceed.
• Relax Wheel– this mode has the same objective as the Time Wheel with the only difference - there are no time restrictions. Play in this mode to perfect your Hexarot skills or pick it up for a quick play.
• Magic Wheel – a special and the most challenging puzzle mode, where you need to copy the given pattern in the shortest time possible. Tap a preview button to review your results against the original.
Other features include:
• High Scores which include the local and the global high scores for the Magic and Time Wheel modes.
• OpenFeint enabled:
- Track your progress, unlock Achievements, earn rewards and improve your score!
- Check out other players’ high scores in Leaderboards
- Chat live with other OpenFeint community members
- Engage in competitions with your friends