Assassin's Creed™ - Altaïr's Chronicles Review
- Impressive visuals and music.
- Many of the ideas of the console version retained.
- Imprecise controls.
For a port of a triple A console title, Gameloft have created a good effort. The controls let it down somewhat, but there's still an impressive game there.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Assassin's Creed was a huge title in 2007 on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. Now Gameloft have created a port of the game for the iPhone. The premise is similar. As the assassin Altair, you are eluding guards on the rooftops of the middle east, assassinating targets on your way to acquire an item of great import. How does it compare to its console counterparts?
The controls are well mapped but end up being a problem. To move Altair, there is an analog stick on the touch screen. There are also jump, and attack buttons. The controls just don't respond well enough, and many times you end up moving or performing an action when you did not want to. Leading you through the game are blue orbs, which when collected, combine towards upgrades to your life or attack (you also learn new moves as the game progresses).
The 3d graphics and character animation are impressive for the iPhone. There are also pre-rendered cut scenes, which look fantastic on screen. The voice acting in cut-scenes is fair, and the music is decent. The game only contains the main story mode, but there is an easy, normal, or hard difficulty setting to encourage you to play again.
Fans of Assassin's Creed will most likely be impressed by this port of the popular game. As a cut down version of the console game, it does very well. As a 3d action game, despite it's imprecise controls, is definitely worth a play.
DescriptionThe benchmark of action-adventure games on next-gen consoles for your iPhone and iPod touch.
**IGN: "Assassin's Creed looks fantastic. This is a console game for your iPhone that sacrifices very little."
**MacWorld: "One of the most ambitious titles for the iPhone yet. The game takes several hours to complete (think 6-10+) and is therefore one of the most lengthy (and challenging) iPhone games I’ve played."
**Pocket Gamer Silver Award: "Honed from an earlier release, this much improved version cuts through control problems with impressive, varied gameplay for a rousing and wholly worthwhile adventure."
Jerusalem, 1191 AD. The Third Crusade between the Crusaders and Saracens is tearing the Holy Land apart.
You are Altaïr, a Master Assassin sent by the Order of the Assassins on a quest to find “The Chalice”, an object of such power that it can end the Crusades, depending on which camp owns it. Steal The Chalice from the Templars before someone offers them the right price for it.
The fate of the Holy Land depends on you...
Plunge into this direct prequel to the critically acclaimed game title, Assassin's Creed™, offering rich gameplay and a well-balanced mix of stealth, chaotic action, and riddle-solving exploration in the midst of fully 3D-rendered historical environments of the Crusade's Middle East.
- Master the assassin's skills to benefit from a wide range of acrobatic moves and perform impressive combo attacks, mixing sword skills and kicks.
- Choose your fighting tactics based on 6 weapons for both close combat and long-range attacks: Swords, daggers, grappling hook, and bombs.
- Skill-based mini-games put your patience & dexterity to the test: Perform pickpocket maneuvers to carefully steal precious items from the crowd and make informants speak.
- Unique dramatic tension on iPhone, intensified by 3D cinematic cutscenes and characters' voices.
- Collect orbs to upgrade health and weapons.
Recommended for fans of action, adventure, and historical games.
What's New in Version 1.3.3Updated for iPhone 4 and iOS 4
- Crisp & gorgeous high-resolution graphics to take full advantage of the iPhone 4 Retina Display
- Support for iOS 4 multitasking on compatible devices: switch between your favorite apps instantly