Defender Chronicles - Legend of The Desert King Review
- Online leaderboard access via OpenFeint.
- Good game sound with the option to create your own custom iPod playlists.
- Plenty of game modes to play through.
- The gameplay can get a bit repetitive after a while.
- Players might struggle if they rush in with no tower strategy.
For those sick of the usual tower defence formula, then Defender Chronicles – Legend of the Desert King is an enjoyable and worthwhile purchase.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Just when you thought all Tower Defence games were the same, along comes Defender Chronicles to smack you upside the head with a dead goblin. Yes, the core gameplay is the same but certain changes have been made to break the repetitive nature of most TD games.
Instead of placing towers ‘willy nilly’ on the map, players must co-ordinate towers along the specific build zones to make the most effective army possible. The upgrade and placement system is very straightforward as players tap their choices using the appropriate prompts, but you’ll need to plan which units you upgrade first as gold is a scarce resource.
Visually the game is very well done and there’s a lot of sharp detail in units and buildings. The sound is great featuring voice overs between missions to keep players informed and the option to create some truly epic battle playlists from your iPod library is also available. The game features a number of different modes besides the main campaign, including quick plays and random maps, but players can also submit highscores to online leaderboards via OpenFeint.
Defender Chronicles is a great play for fans of tower defence and strategy games and offers a lot of game content. The shake-up from the usual tower defence formula is a welcomed addition but it can still get a bit repetitive. Overall, this is one title to check out if you’re a tower defence fan or just enjoy some strategy in your games.
Description2009 iPhone Game of the Year award! A tower defense game with an involving fantasy story that has led to numerous great reviews!
WHAT THEY SAY
“If a Tower Defense game had babies with Warcraft and Diablo 2, it would be called: Defender Chronicles.” – iTunes US Review
“After 50 or so reviews, I have struck gold. My first 5 star rating goes to Defender Chronicles. The game reminds me of Puzzle Quest, when it comes to being addictive and getting stuck in my mind. I have played this for more than 20 hours already. 5 out of 5” – iPhoneGameNetwork
“I am level 222 and have spent over 100 hours since I bought the game last month and I’m still playing!” - Defender Chronicles forumer
“Defender Chronicles – It’s better than Percocet. It pretty much got me through my 3-day appendectomy stay in the hospital last month and made me forget the pain the way Percocet couldn’t.” - Macenstein.com
- Epic storyline with Voice Over and Comic
- Select between might and magic heroes
- Over 20 different types of units with distinct abilities
- Unlockable secrets from the Great Library
- Hundreds of unique items for hero
- 5 difficulty levels and 5 game modes
- Endless mode included
- Unlimited gameplay with freestyle mode
- Extremely high replayability value, time flies with each round of the game
- iPod music library access, email a challenge from the game
- Online leaderboards, achievements, friends, chat using OpenFeint.
- High production value: 9 original music soundtracks, spatial 3D audio, voice-acting, hand-drawn graphics, intuitive controls, auto-save, auto-flip, fast-forward, vibrate, HQ graphics option
Walkthroughs, tips & tricks
Defender Chronicles is developed by Menara Games and Gimka Entertainment Inc and published by Chillingo Ltd.
What's New in Version 1.4.3- General performance enhancements and bug fixes
- Compatibility with iOS 4 multitasking