Hook Champ Review
- Online leaderboard access via OpenFeint.
- The game rewards players with unlockables and an upgrade store.
- The game’s visuals and sound work great together.
- The controls take a bit of getting used to.
- The game is very fast paced and might deter some players.
Hook Champ is a fast paced and frantic action game with tons of charm, personality and value for money.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Hook Champ is one of the latest rope swinging action games to hit the marketplace but this time, you're swinging through dark deep caves in search of lost treasure. You play as Jake T. Hooker, a modern day Indiana Jones as he goes deep into cursed tombs and catacombs in order to retrieve idols and escape as fast as possible.
Players run along each level by tapping and holding their finger on the lower half of the screen and they launch their grappling hook by doing the same on the top half. Much like Rope’N’Fly, swinging through each level and chaining jumps together is a necessity as ghosts and other nasties will chase after you in more difficult levels.
The pixelated visuals are reminiscent of old school arcade games and is further complimented by the game’s MIDI style music. Players are also free to use their iPod during gameplay if they choose to. There is currently only one game mode to play through but players are free to replay levels for more gold or faster times and submit any highscores to the global leaderboards.
Hook Champ is an enjoyable experience that fans of Rope’N’Fly will love. There’s enough content and variety in the gameplay itself to keep things interesting and the retro presentation is a lot of fun. There is a minor learning curve with the control scheme as you need to learn how to effectively swing and move but this is an easily passable obstacle. Overall the game is a satisfying causal play that will sink its hooks into you and have you returning for more.
DescriptionRetina screen support, flip screen option, bugfixes, and more!
Also, check out our new game, the action-RPG adventure: Mage Gauntlet! Coming October 21st! Get it early for exclusive in-game items, and the early buyer's discount!
5 out of 5 score on Appvee.com!
4 out of 4 score on Slidetoplay.com!
Featured in the Best of 2009 for Toucharcade.com!
Featured under "Best Swinging Game" by Apple!
Read to the bottom for update news.
Hook Champ is a physics platformer about using a grappling hook to swing through haunted ruins at high speeds. Designed for immense replay value, Hook Champ features a retro style and the most hat fashion customization of any game on the market.
Check out our youtube trailer, lite version link, and more at http://www.rocketcat-games.com/hook/
- Easy to learn, with a seamless tutorial: Swing, walk, and leap to victory!
- Local, Global, and OpenFeint High Score boards for every single level! Beat developer scores for surprises!
- Total OpenFeint Support: Achievements! Ghost Race Challenges! Leaderboards, including Most Coins Board!
- Character Upgrades and Collectibles: Spend your loot on character upgrades and fancy hats!
- Pick up and Play: After closing the app for any reason, resume your game exactly where you left off.
- Supports playing your own music! Play music from your own library, or use ours.
- Varied Levels: Each level has its own special gameplay challenges.
- Unlocks: Get new Challenge Levels, new characters, and more for progressing in the game!
- Fast load times: Detailed "Pixel graphics" technology allows the average load time to be about a second!
Update 5 submitted! New features:
- New Music! Includes the long requested addition of level music!
- 4 new hats, related to our upcoming game Super QuickHook.
- Performance tweaks! Mostly related to sound performance.
- The triumphant return of Pro Mode.
- Various other tweaks/bugfixes.
Follow us on Twitter, @rocketcatgames
Don't miss the release day of our new game on Thursday, June 17th, for an early buyer's discount and exclusive in-game items!
What's New in Version 1.60-Added retina screen support for compatible devices! View the ruins in crystal clarity!
-Added a Flip Screen button to the settings menu.
-Game should now run in the background properly on applicable devices.
-Updated in-game OpenFeint version.
-Updated in-game news catalog.