- Bright visuals.
- Extensive collectables.
- Progress is saved between sessions.
- Limited gameplay variation with only a timed arcade mode.
Despite losing the "Adventure" portion of the gameplay, Bookworm still manages to be an addictive game that pulls up vague memories of words you barely recall and will even give you a definition for the more obscure of them. As a bare-bones word searching game with some collectable features, it's hard to beat this one from Popcap.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
It's hard to escape the occasional word based game on the iPhone. In fact it's incredibly hard to escape them. So when a company like Popcap makes a word game you can only hope it's not only fun, but it sets the standard for other developers. Bookworm is Popcap's flagship spelling game brought to the iPhone and the word is "good".
Selecting words is as easy as tapping it out on the screen using the tiles presented, keeping each successive letter joined to the last. Like other spelling genre games, scoring is based on the length and complexity of the word spelt. Bonus tiles will multiply the score and penalty tiles will appear if you stick to short words for too long. If you're stumped, you can shake the iPhone to reset the tiles, but penalties will apply.
The interface is a bibliographic vista populated by book shelves, books, parchment and wooden panels. You can switch out the game's music for your own and the minimalist sound effects will save you from ruining your personal playlist. As an added bonus, Popcap have included word lists for players to complete which will keep compulsive players glued to their screen as they slowly manoeuvre tiles around to find them all.
It's a shame to see Popcap Game's Bookworm franchise drop the "Adventure" gameplay, especially when Peggle was ported to the iPhone so flawlessly, but Bookworm is still everything a philologist or other word lovers should come to expect for their game collection.
DescriptionThe award-winning word-puzzle game from the makers of Bejeweled®!
Have an appetite for words? Then join Lex the Bookworm in the hit word-puzzle game created by PopCap Games! Link letter tiles left, right, up and down to build words and keep Lex sated and smiling. The bigger the word, the better the bonus. But watch out for burning letters — they could spell disaster for you and Lex!
If you need a quick word break, link letters fast in Arcade mode. If laid-back wordplay is more your style, go with Classic. No matter which mode you like best, you’ll relax and tune up your brain every time you play!
• It’s easy to learn — start working wordy wonders in relaxing Classic mode or race against the clock in Arcade mode
• Boost scores and advance faster by spelling bonus words
• All new shake-to-scramble — just shake your iPhone/iPad or tap Lex to re-scramble the letters
• All new bonus books — unlock themed tomes and complete special word collections
• Instant stats to track your progress — just turn your iPhone/iPad sideways for a quick view of your word history
• Unlimited levels to keep you rising up the ranks in the Hall of Fame
• Uses the Oxford English Dictionary — the most authoritative vocabulary available
• Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (4th Generation), and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later.
• Gameplay dictionary is ENGLISH ONLY
More Apps from PopCap:
BEJEWELED® – Match sparkling gems in the world’s #1 puzzle game.
PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES™ — Soil your plants in the award-winning action-strategy game. iTunes Rewind 2010 iPhone Game of the Year.
SOLITAIRE BLITZ™ – Discover a whole new world of Solitaire in this fast-paced treasure hunt!
ZUMA’S REVENGE!™ — Take on the tikis in this ball-blasting challenge!
PEGGLE® — Clear the orange pegs in this epic blend of luck and skill.
CHUZZLE® — Slide and match cute, cuddly — and surprisingly explosive — furballs.
POPCAP MAKES LIFE FUN!
Visit us at PopCap.com
Follow us at twitter.com/PopCap
Like us at facebook.com/PopCap