Commodore 64 Review
- Fast and accurate C64 emulation.
- Great selection of games with more to come.
- Multiple control schemes.
- The 8-way controller is extremely loose.
- Playing full-screen can be frustrating.
The Commodore 64 is a nostalgic port of call for any old-school gamer and now the app can revive or introduce you to what you missed out on.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
For many people, the Commodore 64 (C64) is remembered with equal part nostalgia and frustration. It found its primary market in the UK, but even despite the video game crash of 1983 it still had a home in North America. If you're one of the few people lucky enough to have experienced the superior gameplay the system had at the time Commodore 64 by Manomio might just be for you.
Much like Manomio's port of Flashback, this app is a licensed emulator of the C64. The menu system is easy to navigate and there are plenty of classics available to play and download. Gameplay can be controlled in portrait half-screen mode, giving you access to a virtual keypad if the game requires or in landscape full-screen mode for games that can utilize a virtual joystick. It's a shame that the 8-way joystick is imprecise as so many games require quick movements and even worse than this in full-screen mode you're liable to obscure much of the screen with your finger.
Despite the control issues, the emulation by the C64 app is incredibly accurate. Each game loads immediately and instructions are provided to decipher the controls. Classics such as Jack Attack, Jupiter Lander, International Soccer and Le Mans are packaged with the app, but more free and paid games are available from the in game store.
Ultimately Commodore 64 is a slice of nostalgia and while the games were fun for their time, newer casual gamers will be turned off. This is an app for classic game lovers and nostalgic geeks.
Description** Awards! **
Voted Game of the Year (People's Choice), slidetoplay.com : http://bit.ly/5bmfTQ
Voted game of the week, Gizmodo / Gizmodo.au: http://bit.ly/9YOwRN
Voted runner up, Best Retro Reborn for Best App Ever '09 awards: http://bit.ly/9cxXOg
• We've partnered with RGCD.co.uk to bring you lots of exciting free and paid titles, many pre-bundled!
- iCADE support
- BASIC: 10 PRINT "HELLO": GOTO 10
- Authentic C64 gaming experience
- Detailed C64 retro keyboard
- Portrait and landscape play
- Additional titles via in-app purchases, both paid and free
- Classic sounds
- Fullscreen gaming
- Auto-save, to continue exactly where you left off
- And some of the best games from the golden era…
In App Purchases
- Free titles include:
-Samurai Warrior, Laser Squad, Iridis Alpha, many from RGCD, Psytronik and many more
- Paid titles
- Armalyte, Hunter's Moon, Space Taxi, Wizball, Uridium, Paradroid, Storm Lord, Nebulus / Tower Toppler, AlletKat, Boulder Dash® II, Bristles™, Flip & Flop™, Panic Button™, Super Pipeline I & II, and so many more!
Manomio brings back the best selling personal computer of all time: the one and only officially licensed Commodore 64 for your iPhone and iPod Touch! This version provides an authentic reproduction 8 original games.
Included are Dragons Den, Le Mans, International Basketball, International Soccer, International Tennis, Jupiter Lander, Arctic Shipwreck and Jack Attack.
What's New in Version 2.07• NEW games courtesy of RGCD.co.uk
• Removed OpenFeint