Pocket Chef™ Review
- Clean 3D art-style that's appetizing to the eye.
- Plenty of recipes to play and make at home.
- Bouncing jazz soundtrack.
- Controls aren't always intuitive and can feel overly sensitive at times.
- Easy to lose a star for a minor mistake.
Pocket Chef gives you a chance to not only live out some cooking fantasies, but is also a great game that gives you the tools to try it for yourself at home with or without the mess.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Whether or not French cuisine agrees with you or not, it's not hard to recognize that France is the home of exquisite food. So it's no big surprise that French publisher Gameloft has created their own spin on cooking games with Pocket Chef being the first 3D version to hit the App Store.
There are no real surprises when playing each of the cooking mini-games. The gameplay is refined from popular variants like Cooking Mama, requiring players to slice, tap, swirl and drag food to successfully craft each meal. While each mini-game is often great at boiling down the actions it depicts, slicing can become a hazardous chore with tiny movements easily resulting in bad cuts.
Going to 3D was a huge risk for Gameloft with semi-realistic depictions of food in their various states could have easily looked distasteful. Thankfully the simplified, clean art style makes it easy to identify the food and may even tempt you with how delicious it looks. As a bonus the game also comes with a recipe book of all the foods you've unlocked which you can browse at your leisure while listening to the crooning jazz soundtrack.
Pocket Chef is simply stunning in its execution and brings 3D flair to the cooking game genre. Anyone who has enjoyed cooking challenges or is even a bit of a closet chef will find something to love here, be it the fun mini-games to the helpful recipes you can try out. Great fun and great value.
DescriptionThis game is now entirely free to download and play, without any additional in-app purchases. Please note the present update includes advertising banners in menus and loading screens. If you already own the paid version of this game, you don’t need to update it and your game will remain ad free.
THE FIRST 3D COOKING GAME on the App Store.
Follow up to 25 yummy recipes step by step and put your precision & speed to the test in 19 fun mini-games! Bake, boil and blend your way to become a Culinary Master!
Put on your chef’s hat and prepare for gourmet fun!
The need for precision makes Pocket Chef loads of fun! Thanks to the accelerometer, you’ll play by making the same movements as if you were really cooking. Soon you will become obsessed with flipping steaks before they burn, or breaking an egg without smashing it!
Plus, the game doubles as a recipe book available to you 24/7! You’ll find great recipes for gazpacho, tropical cocktail, delicious brownies and much more.
Ingredients for Pocket Chef:
• 19 MINI-GAMES composing real recipes, from the preparation of ingredients to baking & presentation.
• 25 RECIPES from all over the world, including different courses and cuisines.
• 5 KITCHENS beautifully designed in 3D: Bake your way from veggie delights to American classics!
• A RECIPE BOOK: Unlocked recipes are available whenever you want to try them in real life.
• REALISTIC 3D GRAPHICS make your dishes look mouth-watering!
• To spice up the game, your culinary achievements appear on Gameloft LIVE!
• iPod Library Access: Listen to your favorite music while cooking.
Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.