Bug Heroes Review
- Clever blending of castle-defense and twin-stick action.
- Three unique playable characters.
- Plenty of upgrades (including unlockable ones).
- Challenging learning curve; stick on easy till you've had a lot of practice.
- Currently no Game Center support (promised for upcoming update).
Bug Heroes is an impressive twin-stick title that keeps things constantly engaging thanks to three different playable styles that grow and change as you defend your pile of food.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The castle-defense and twin-stick action genres have taken a beating for some time now, sharing their high points and low points as developers scramble to put their own spin on the concepts. Bug Heroes by Foursaken Media seeks to combine the two while going that extra step by giving players the freedom to choose between three unique characters, each with traits and skills that can drastically change the feel of the game as you progress.
After spending a small amount of time playing through the in-game tutorial you're tasked with the goal of defending your pile of food from an invading horde of militarized bugs for as long as possible. The 'Ant' specializes in ranged combat and his skills provide him with the ability to safely wander far away from the pile as temporary turrets, mines and other gadgets help to bolster the defenses while you roam. The 'Beetle' is a ponderous armored character, pummeling multiple enemies within his short melee range while his skills provide new pieces of armor and area-affect based damage attacks. And finally, the 'Spider' is the ninja of the group, utilizing traps and its high-speed attacks and movement to efficiently dispatch enemies one at a time. The controls are typical for a twin stick shooter, though an 'auto-aim' option is available to reduce some of the difficulty of making contact with melee strikes.
It's no coincidence that your characters are given so many varied skills and abilities as each wave that attacks your food pile consists of a wide-selection of enemies (each with a particular weakness to one of your characters) that need to be accounted for efficiently. Occasionally 'quests' will pop up and provide you with an opportunity to earn bonus cash and experience, however you risk taking extra damage and losing food from your pile in the process, so you'll need to accept them with caution.
What seems like such a simple idea quickly grows in to a complex and delicate balance of skill and timing that equally punishes and rewards bold players who seek to do more than simply defend their pile of food. Getting this balance down pat is what makes Bug Heroes so rewarding and easy to recommend, even to those burned out on shooting zombies, furry monsters or neon-shapes alike.
DescriptionFrom the creators of N.Y.Zombies comes an all new blend of action, adventure, castle defense, and role playing elements! Master up to nine legendary Bug Heroes, including a sword wielding Spider assassin, an armored Beetle warrior, a machine gun toting Ant engineer, and more! Shoot, slice, dice, and bash your enemies with a variety of skills, abilities and equipment. Stockpile food, fortify your base, and defend it from hordes of hungry bugs. Explore a variety of familiar landscapes from an all new miniature perspective, collecting food, coins and other items. Enter Bug Heroes, an epic fantasy world you never knew existed!
Ranked one of the top iOS games of 2011 (metacritic.com)!!
"...it's going to be really hard to ever find a way to enjoy a typical dual-stick shooter again."
"One part castle defense, two parts dual stick shooter, and a dash of RPG; Bug Heroes is the most interesting blend of iPhone gaming I’ve see since Infinity Blade."
"Bug Heroes has slick presentation, charm, and lasting appeal... In my opinion this is one of those games that defines the iOS platform for gamers."
"Without a doubt, Bug Heroes is the year's first must-have release."
- A seamless blend of action, adventure, castle defense, and role playing elements!
- 10 unique Bug Heroes to play as, each with different strengths, weaknesses, equipment, and personalities. Choose any 3 heroes to take into battle!
- Level-up your Bug Heroes, increase their skills, and customize them with a huge variety of equipment and abilities!
- Melee and ranged combat. Slice your enemies with swords, swat bugs off of ledges or into walls, and blast them from long range with rifles and machine guns!
- Scour the lands for food, then defend your food stash from hordes of hungry bugs. Build turrets and fortify your base!
- Optional, randomized side quests for even more depth and re-playability!
- Over 50 unique enemy types, ranging from tiny fleas to giant snails. Detailed "Insectopedia" for background info and strategies on every single enemy!
- Multiple profiles and game saves, tons of achievements, and online leaderboards!
- Supports all devices, old and new. Enjoy crisp retina graphics on the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4g!
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, and for all news on upcoming updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter @FoursakenMedia!