100 Rogues Review
- Hardcore Rogue-like RPG style.
- Elegant 2D pixel-art.
- More classes on the way.
- Midi soundtrack can be hard on the ears.
- Initial release has some serious identified bugs.
100 Rogues is a true rogue-like game that has been given a near perfect overhaul for modern gamers with hardcore tastes; and don't let this scare you off because it's a game just about anyone can jump in to and enjoy.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
100 Rogues has been a year and a half in the making, but developers Dinofarm Games have finally reached the finish line with their Rogue-like dungeon crawler for the App Store. This is a game of wit and survival and certainly shouldn't be taken lightly by those after a true RPG challenge.
The controls are intuitive and respond to basic screen touches to move or attack depending on what you highlight. Skill trees are available to each class and provide access to abilities that will help you to survive against some of the game's tougher opponents. Unlike most recent action RPGs, you're only given one chance to survive the game's dangerous depths so you'll need to stay alert and constantly excercise your cunning to remain one step ahead of the game's AI.
100 Rogues is beautifully simplistic, with perfectly inspired 2D pixel-art sprites and animations. Much like a regular 'endless' game for the iPhone, players can be ranked on their progress against a global scoreboard and with its randomly generated levels you'll have plenty of reasons to jump right back in to the fray.
Despite its high release price 100 Rogues is an investment in time-wasting that'll keep you busy for hours and with two more characters on the way you'll be positively spoiled for gameplay. Rogue-like fans should jump at the chance to play 100 Rogues and RPG fans after a truly challenging experience will love the game's hardcore design.
Description100 Rogues is being featured by Apple as a "Great Role-Playing Game" and is first on the list of GamePro's "36 Best iPhone Games". Need we say more? Start playing today and battle 60+ villains!
... About 100 Rogues ...
100 Rogues is a dungeon crawling adventure for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
... Reviews ...
• "One of the most captivating, refined & rewarding games on the App Store" - Touch Arcade
• "100 Rogues blends arcade thrills with engrossing dungeon crawling. It's the very best of both worlds" - Mobot
• "100 Rogues will take its place as one of the best role-playing games" - Pocket Gamer
• "This might be the best RPG on the iPhone to date." - Final Level
• "In presentation, gameplay, & charm, 100 Rogues excels" - GameZebo
• "100 Rogues has taken me by the heartstrings and drives me by them as if they were reigns" - NoDPad
• "Those of you looking for strategic challenge with RPG elements now have the perfect game" - Appolicious Advisor
• "Dungeon crawling with a strategic twist" - TouchGen
• "Retro music & distinctive monster designs smother 100 Rogues with sweet, sweet eye & ear candy" - App Safari
... Features ...
• A mix of handcrafted and randomly generating maps.
• Three unique player classes - with completely different skill trees and abilities. Plus, a monster class of characters with wildly different abilities and strategy requirements.
• Discover swords, axes, daggers, throwing knives, rocks, food, potions, scrolls, armor and gold as well as many rare items.
• Over 60 fun, challenging monsters – including Skybabies, Robots, Ghosts, Candy Clowns and Gummy Rats, each with unique tactics and weaknesses.
• Original artwork & arcade-style music – An original score & vivid pixel art make 100 Rogues a visual and aural pleasure.
• More – Future additions of a fourth playable class, challenges, another environment, and more!
What's New in Version 3.6New maps! Gone forever are long hallways and aimless wandering. Enjoy more efficient exploration.
New maps prevent any instances of missing exits, dead-end hallways or other map problems seen previously
Fixes bug causing end boss health to be extremely low
Fixes bug causing Skill descriptions to be drawn offscreen on 4-inch devices