Oddy Smog's Misadventure Review
- Stunning dark and adorable 3D visual design.
- Fun, easy to learn gameplay.
- No online scoreboards.
- Perfecting the 'feel' of each jump can take considerable time to master.
Oddy Smog's Misadventure certainly doesn't tread too much new ground, but it's still a fun, haunting experience that manages to immerse players with its dark, grimy visuals and cute main character.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Poor Oddy Smog; he's no longer willing to be a part of the 'system' and now he's trying to escape the 'Smog that Engulfs Everything'. Oddy Smog's Misadventure is a charming endless vertical platformer by Medusa that tugs at your heart while challenging you to navigate the endless gear-strewen corridors of his vertical prison.
Players can hold on to various rotating gears as they climb by touching anywhere on the right side of the screen, while tapping the left side allows Oddy Smog to perform a mid-air jump. Hitting the walls will cause Oddy to climb for a short distance before launching in to the void, but careful use of this move can allow you to jump incredible distances at great speed. Various cogs also provide temporary boosts to launch you further up the smoke-stack, but keep an eye out for prisoners that are chained up as they too want to join Oddy in his escape.
A lot of effort has gone in to the presentation of Oddy Smog, with various industrial themed and grimy areas slowly blending in to one another as you climb up. Eventually the areas start to repeat, but small variations like a crashed space-ship add a real sense of progress. High-scores can be shared via Twitter, however it's odd that more social features aren't available.
It's easy to compare Oddy Smog to the recently released Jump o'Clock, but this title definitely has a charm of its own to enjoy and for only $0.99 it's well worth adding to your endless gameplay collection.
DescriptionMeet Oddy Smog, nothing but a tiny bit of the Smog that Engulfs Everything. He used to be part of the System, but his desire for freedom pushes him to run away from everything he once knew.
Help him in his quest for a new life! Climb the entrails of the same machine from which the Smog erupts and free those who are still enslaved. Rumor says that there is a blue sky up there where the Smog is white…
· Combine jumps and wall climbing to make the most out of your journey.
· Freeing prisoners may be risky, but it is worth it!
· Find Glory and Recognition in worldwide leaderboards.
· Use headphones! You will enjoy a much more intense and immersive gaming experience.
Visit us online at http://playmedusa.com/oddysmog to stay updated with news, videos and whatever may come!
· "There's just something endearing about Oddy, and you find yourself rooting for him to escape his smoggy pursue. (...) for randomly generated high score game enthusiasts this is one that's not to be missed." - TouchArcade
· "This game scores on every level. Let me break it down: Graphics: AWESOME. Concept: AWESOME. Interplay: AWESOME. Aside from making my thumbs hurt from playing too much and too hard, this game touches on every level of awesome." - AppSafari
· "It’s a simple premise, and the result is a fun game that you can easily play over and over again. Swinging upward from gear to gear is great fun. It doesn’t hurt that the artwork is so gorgeous, or that the music is fantastic (...) Oddy Smog’s Misadventure is easily addictive." - 148Apps
· "Whereas those other games generally require you to simply jump from one spinning platform to another, Oddy Smog adds a good deal of difficulty and a bunch of different elements to really challenge the player." - AppSmile
· Featured by Apple - New and Noteworthy - iTunes (06/24/2010)
OddySmog's Misadventure uses Geosophic's Geolocalized Leaderboards!
What's New in Version 2.04- We are sorry! A nasty bug slipped in the previous version: Oddy was killed when freeing a prisoner while grabbing a cog. Ah, the nasty Smog is everywhere. Fortunately, that's fixed now.
- Prisoner appearance rate has been tweaked too. It seems the Smog suffered some kind of security breach and there were too many of them fleeing away. Not anymore!