Spectre 3D Review
- Publisher: Brilliant Bytes Software Inc
- Genre: Action
- Released: 22 May, 2010
- Size: 30.9 MB
- Price: $2.99
- Classic vector-style visuals.
- Robust game creation options.
- Permanent online servers.
- Currently no online leaderboards despite strong online support.
Spectre for the iPhone is a fun remake of a classic Apple title that will give you flashbacks to the 90s while managing to add to an already rock-solid multiplayer experience.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
It's no surprise for some old-school gamers, but Spectre for Macintosh computers in the early 90s is noteable for being one of the first multiplayer network games available. Brilliant Bytes Software have resurrected the original and VR versions of Spectre for the iPhone generation and with a few modern touches it's still a perfect way to blast away your spare time.
When played in classic Spectre mode, players are given a virtual stick to move forward, backwards and to turn left or right while two virtual buttons allow you to fire or warp randomly around the level. Enemy AI tanks will attempt to prevent you from collecting each level's set of flags and power-ups can restore your health and ammunition as required. VR mode adds an extra layer of gameplay, giving players the ability to jump, fly and strafe and also adds super-weapons for each tank type.
However it's the multiplayer that really shines for Spectre, allowing for local and online play. Several hosted servers provide players with a permanent playground where the developers themselves regularly dish out the damage, but robust options allow players to host their own servers complete with custom rules. If you're feeling particularly nostalgic you can even turn off some of the game's enhancements for a true retro experience.
Spectre 3D is oodles of fun and while it's not as pretty as most modern games, there's something pure about the experience that remains fun to this day. A must try for nostalgic gamers and shooter fans after a retro challenge.
DescriptionJump in your tank and destroy endless hordes of enemies in cyberspace! Spectre has the fastest, smoothest 3D action you will find on iOS!
One of the most popular Mac games in history is now back and better than ever!
"Spectre jockey's dream come true... white knuckle action.... an absolute instant buy."
- Touch Arcade
"A perfect way to blast away your spare time... the multiplayer really shines... a must try."
- AppSpy (video review)
- Over 120 levels included in Spectre VR and Spectre Classic!
- Addictive, easy-to-play Arcade mode!
- Fast-action multiplayer battles over Internet, Wifi, and Bluetooth!
- Fight against humans and battle-ready AI bots!
Transporting you even deeper into the virtual cyberworld, Spectre also includes an option for 3D anaglyph stereographic support! (3D glasses sold separately)
Single player games included:
* Spectre Classic
* Spectre VR
* Spectre Arcade
Multiplayer games included:
* Capture the Flag
* Flag Rally
* Base Raid
* iOS 7 MFi Game Controller support!
* Supports iPad, Retina, and 4" displays
* Game Center leaderboards and over 30 achievements!
* All-new addictive Arcade mode!
* Up to 4 players over Bluetooth
* Up to 16 players via Internet or WiFi
* Totally customizable online game options and weapons configurations
* Control your cybertank with a resizable virtual joypad
* Weapons, shield and flight energy power-ups
* Host human versus Cyberbot online team battles
* Incredibly challenging, all-new “Base Raid” multiplayer game
* Defensive tactics include hyperspace teleporting and jump-strafing
* Spectre is the first-ever online, multi-player, stereo-3D game!
For more information visit www.spectre3d.com
Note to parents: Spectre is kid-friendly by design, offering fast-paced, shoot-em-up action without graphic language, content or violence.
© 1990-2014 Peninsula Gameworks. Spectre for iPhone/iPod/iPad developed by Brilliant Bytes Software, Inc. Spectre is a trademark of Peninsula Gameworks. All rights reserved.
What's New in Version 1.4.3- Decreased difficulty slightly: robots and bots now fire less accurately.
- Reduced HP of Acid, Mud, and Wall enemies by 66%
- Moved multiplayer count feature to the main menu