- Variable rule-set for trash-matches.
- Concurrent online/offline matches.
- In-game ENABLE2K world list search.
- No music/iPod support.
- Currently no support for match-making.
For fans of word-games, HexaLex is a great twist on the Scrabble gameplay with solid multiplayer support and built-in social tools to make life easier for you and your friends.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
HexaLex by Nathan Gray is another crack at the hexagonal-grid form of Scrabble and it's at this point that a lot of readers may switch off, but hold on, it's honestly a great implementation. Small considerations such as additional rules which can be modified or even turned off make this an extremely challenging variation on a popular board game idea.
For fans of word-games it's likely you've already stumbled on this title, but the recent 2.0 updates have added some great new features and it begged to be explored. Most of the game's controls are completely intuitive, ranging from dragging tiles to their position on the board; tapping them in to place after marking a starting position; and controlling your zoom level with pinches or multi-taps. Scoring is handled automatically and several rules extend the ability to place words while ignoring 'trash' words to increase the available play-space.
Visually the game is kept simple with clean interface designs that give this a professional board-game feel. One of the most impressive features is the ability to run several concurrent games locally and online with several players and AI. iOS 4 backgrounding is used to great effect and allows you to keep your games live while notifications prompt you when moves are made if you're playing asynchronously with a friend or two.
Ultimately HexaLex isn't going to convert many people to a life-long love of word-based games, but for fans of Scrabble or word-games this is definitely a great implementation of a classic game.
DescriptionNow on SALE! 33% off for a limited time!
"The whole thing is marvelous. The graphics are really stellar, and the controls are obvious, and perfect." -TheAppEra.com
"Hexalex delivers a fun word gaming experience that will delight Scrabble gamers." -BuzzFocus.com
* Featured by Apple: App Store's New and Noteworthy!
* Gold Award, 9.5/10 - GamersDailyNews.com
* Gizmodo: Week's Best Apps
* MacWorld: 4/5 Mice
* TUAW Daily App
Scrabble fans, meet the world's first hexagonal crossword game. HexaLex takes the classic, easy to learn but hard to master game and adds a new dimension. Hexagonal tiles let you play words in three directions instead of two. Words interact in surprising ways! But have no fear, thanks to the innovative instant feedback system, tutorial, and detailed built-in help, you'll be laying down major scores in no time. If you're hooked on Scrabble or Words With Friends you're going to love HexaLex!
* Game Center Leaderboards/Achievements & Retina Display graphics
* 2-4 player online games, with push notifications when it's your turn.
* Feed your inner geek with extensive stats and records tracked in each game and over your career.
* Leaderboards & over 30 Medals, with or without Game Center
* 4 computer opponents for single-player gaming.
* Play online games in the plane or on the subway! Your moves will be sent the next time you've got an internet connection.
* All the tools demanding crossword gamers love, including tile shuffle, dictionary search, and a 2-letter word list.
"Every one of us needs to snatch this up." - TheAppEra.com
"I will go out and say that this is even better than the traditional" - AppAdvice.com
"...fans of Scrabble will be immediately at home as soon as they start up this great app." - PlatformNation.com
"...for fans of Scrabble or word-games this is definitely a great implementation of a classic game." - AppSpy.com, 4/5
"Seriously, playing Scrabble now seems ghetto." - iTunes review
What's New in Version 2.4.0Version 2.4 brings lots of improvements and fixes!
* New stats: double-doubles and triple-triples
* New record: most words formed in one play
* See your score as you drop tiles
* See player names in-game
* Sound enabled for push notifications
* Dictionary updates
* Smoother scrolling of game board for older devices
* Fix: Prevent AI from getting stuck passing forever
* Various other improvements