iTraceur - Parkour / Freerunning Platform Game Review
- Superb character movement animations.
- Unique attempt at a natural control system.
- In-game tutorial/training ground.
- Customizable controls.
- Graphical style makes it hard to go with the flow.
- Free-exploration holds a fairly niche appeal.
Recent updates to iTraceur haven't transformed this title in to something magnificent, but it's certainly not the ugly duckling it used to be and Parkour fans will at least find some appeal to the game's free exploration.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
UPDATE: A lot of our major cons have fixed due to recent patches and the original score was no longer appropriate. An in-game tutorial level provides players with a good training ground for learning the controls, while new options even allow players to reposition buttons to their liking. I still feel that the graphics and niche appeal are holding the game back, but fans of Parkour can definitely jump in to this title with confidence.
Parkour, freerunning, the art of movement - it may have many identities, but at its core the physical discipline of elegant and efficient movement has gained immense popularity in the last decade and its influence has already affected many recent video games. iTraceur by Parkour Games attempts to bring the freerunning experience to the iPhone as naturally as possible, but something seems to have been lost in the translation.
A set of three controls on each side of the screen provide you with basic movement forward and backward, while the up and down controls will modify your movement based on the situation. Vaults and rolls are performed automatically where required, however stringing together movement fluidly is notoriously difficult. Objects can respond differently depending on when you tap certain combinations, making it extremely challenging to maintain a flow of movement.
The games graphics are mixed in an odd way, with smoothly video-captured movement for the traceur (male parkour practitioner) and ultra-simplistic artwork for the world. Depth is extremely difficult to judge, making multiple tiers of a building hard to pinpoint and ledges can often be hard to define.
A lot of time is wasted on merely jumping up platforms for no real significant reason and unless you take the time to memorize levels you'll find it hard to truly develop a graceful run. While iTraceur may be considered more "pure" than adapted inclusions of parkour in other games, it's just not as fun to play.
DescriptionTHE FIRST PARKOUR / FREERUNNING GAME EVER CREATED BY TRACEURS!!!
Approved by David Belle - creator of parkour!
Parkour ( the art of displacement, freerunning ) is the physical discipline of training to overcome any obstacle within one's path by adapting one's movements to the environment.
Traceur (freerunner) is the practitioner of parkour.
In this game you control a traceur, making his way through the city.
COMPETE WITH YOUR FRIENDS ON 15 HUGE LEVELS IN TIMETRIAL MODES
OVERCOME ANY OBSTACLE WITH INCREDIBLE PARKOUR MOVES
WATCH PARKOUR VIDEOS BETWEEN LEVELS IN STORY MODE
COLLECT ALL BONUSES TO UNLOCK EVEN MORE VIDEOS
USE DOUBLE TAP TO PAUSE AND LOOK AROUND
FIND SECRETS TO REACH 100% GAME PROGRESS
1. Universal application
2. Beautiful retina graphics
3. Absolute realistic animations captured in Full HD
4. Downloadable Videos with first person parkour footage.
5. Look around mode - observe whole level!
6. Three game modes: Story, Timetrial and Harvest!
7. Training level explaining basic movements and tips!
8. Customizable Convenient Controls (3 size schemes with button displacement )!
9. Dynamic music.
What's New in Version 1.4.1* [ENHANCEMENT] iPhone 5 Support
* [ENHANCEMENT] iPad 3 Support
* [FIX] Removed Openfeint
What was new in 1.4:
* [NEW] InAppPurchases
* [NEW] Levels: "Pipes!", "Street: Reloaded!" & "Dirt!"
* [ENHANCEMENT] Better Backgrounds for all Levels
* [ENHANCEMENT] Increased Performance
What was new in 1.3:
* [NEW] Universal app
* [NEW] Retina Support
* [NEW] Bonus Type: Parkour Points
* [NEW] Videos Achievements: Wide for "Story Mode Completed" and Bait for "All Bananas Collected"
* [NEW] All levels are available in Free Run (Story Mode -> Choose Level) with Parkour Points
* [NEW] Pause Widget instead of fullscreen pause menu
* [NEW] Adjustable Gameplay Speed (with 110% by default)
* [NEW] GameCenter Support
* [NEW] Twitter & Facebook buttons
* [ENHANCEMENT] Decreased app size. All videos are downloadable now.
* [ENHANCEMENT] Improved Level Graphics
* [ENHANCEMENT] Both Landscape Orientations Support
* [ENHANCEMENT] Lookaround stops timer in TimeTrial
* [ENHANCEMENT] Music will only slowdown and not stop while player is idle
* [FIX] Inaccurate tap zones in About screen
* [FIX] Inaccurate LookAround by double tap near Control Buttons