Blue Defense: Second Wave! Review
- Publisher: Cat in a Box Games
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 30 Sep, 2010
- Size: 11.2 MB
- Price: $2.99
- Unique defense style gameplay.
- Multi-touch controls with lock-on and tilt control options.
- Plenty of game modes to choose from.
- Achievements not tied to major social networks.
- No real gameplay changes over time.
Blue Defense: Second Wave! is a great sequel to what was already a great title and while the tilt controls may be a bit gimmicky, the gameplay is almost second to none.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Blue Defense: Second Wave! by Cat in a Box Games not only continues the epic saga of Red versus Blue, but it picks up right where the (now) classic Blue Defense left off and has more than a few new tricks up its sleeve.
Much like the first title you're playing through a 'defense' scenario, pitting your planet against the incoming alien hordes that would destroy your world. Depending on the chosen control scheme, players can either tilt and rotate their device to move their powerful cannon around the planet or merely touch the screen to change the aim. Multi-touch features are available to split the firepower in to multiple directions, each one distributing the force evenly, however the ability to 'lock on' and split your stream in to manageable sections is a key strategic method for dealing with your deadly multiplying foes.
There's quite simply no comparison in the visuals to the previous iteration and while the neon-glow style can prove troublesome when trying to determine just how many enemies are left, it's rarely cause for alarm as you can always keep firing until you're sure. There are just too many other modes to mention beyond the classic random wave mode, varying from gauntlet to infinite and even individual levels to practice your skills.
Second Wave! is brimming with features to keep score-hunters happy, though smaller things like the awkward tilt controls and a lack of variety in your offensive weaponry could wear down the enjoyment over time. However, while this may hamper long-term playability, Blue Defense: Second Wave! is still a great title to pick up and enjoy.
Description"Entirely unique, without peer on the app store!" - NoDpad
"Original, intense, addictive, and most of all, fun!" - 148apps
Intense planetary defense arcade action! The Blue planet is in peril - take the fight into your own hands, and blast the evil Red and Green enemies out of the sky with the all-new planet cannon!
Blue Defense: Second Wave builds on the legendary pick-up-and-play gameplay of the original 2008 hit, hailed as an "App Store classic" by many. With game modes ranging from just seconds to several hours, you won't be able to put it down!*
6.8 billion lives hang in the balance... how long can you keep them alive?
"A game that's not to be missed." - TouchArcade
"A brilliantly executed game... Replay value is outstanding!" - AppSmile
- The planet cannon lets you take out hundreds of enemies at once!
- All-new Gauntlet mode lets you win the game!**
- Infinite-Classic and Infinite-Quickstart modes - last as long as you can!
- Level select mode - practice a level, and earn medals for your skills!
- 74 mode-based global leaderboards!
- Automatic save state - continue your game, even without iOS 4!
- Updated retro art style
- iPhone 4 Retina resolution graphics
- Runs smooth and fast even on the oldest devices
- Red and Green enemies!
- 24 enemy types!
- 64 all-new levels!
- Over 200 medals to obtain!
- Both multitouch and tilt controls available, both can be used simultaneously
- Tilt controls: bullets shoot up, unless there's no gravity where you are
- Multi-target locking: double-tap the screen where you want to continue shooting
- Planet cannon: tap and drag from the planet to aim, release to fire
- Double-tap the planet to pause
* Seriously, there's a guy who told me he'd play it quietly in his pew waiting for church to start!
** It's the only game mode where you can have more than 0 lives at the end...
What's New in Version 1.0.1Fixed online score submission bug.
Tweaked UI layout on score submission page.