- Official Carcassonne gameplay with an alternative Solitaire mode.
- Local and Online multiplayer modes.
- Spoken tutorial for new players.
- Excellent value for money.
- iPad users will need to wait for a native version - that said, it will be a free update.
Despite only being published a decade ago, Carcassonne has all the hallmarks of a classic board-game and grabbing a version to play on the go is a boon that no one should miss.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The Coding Monkeys have done an excellent job of transforming the sensational board-game title of Carcassonne to the iPhone. That's jumping the gun on the review, but if you're already a fan of the addictive board-game published by Hans im Glück then that should be all you really need to hear. For everyone else, this is an opportunity you just can't miss.
Like many board-games, the space requirements can become utterly daunting to deal with, especially when confronted with a game like Carcassonne that allows players to place tiles down in order to create a spanning web of castles and road-filled countrysides. Each turn players are given a random card to add to the field that must correctly join up with another card, providing opportunities to place down their 'meeple' to help score points. Players can be cunning and block opportunities created by others, but meeple left on the board will accumulate points once the available cards have run out.
The game's interface is simple and easy to manage, with tiles gracefully sliding in to place and completed territories are marked for future reference. Automatic end-game scoring is a boon to those familiar with the laborious task of counting the remaining accumulated point. For those after an extra challenge, a solitaire mode has been included with high-score boards and the ability to challenge friends with the exact same tileset you've used.
Compared to purchasing the full board-game, this is an absolute steal and a must have for all social gamers.
DescriptionFamous boardgame and great iOS experience, with expansions as in-app purchases.
"iPhone Game of the Year", iTunes Rewind Germany.
"The single best board game experience in the App Store", gamezebo
"Carcassonne does just about everything right on the iPhone", ars technica
"It is quite simply one of the most polished games on the platform", wired.com
"There's nothing like a sneaky farmer to push you across the winning line", Edge Magazine
"Beautiful and intuitive", joystiq
"Carcassonne is as good as it gets", EGM
"Of all the tabletop games I have played on my iPad while pooping, nothing has as much time invested in it as Carcassonne", Wil Wheaton
Play the original award winning board game Carcassonne with friends, family, or other board game enthusiasts - online or offline.
Build a medieval landscape, tile by tile, claim landmarks with your followers and score points. As a winner of the prestigious "Spiel des Jahres" award in 2001, the game allows for a plethora of play styles and strategies. If you like social gaming or board games you will love Carcassonne!
• Official Carcassonne game with original artwork
• Universal App - Buy once, play on iPad and iPhone
• Expansions available via In-App-Purchase
• "The River" adds a new strategic element to the game play
• "Inns and Cathedrals" adds a double follower and tiles to upvalue cities and roads.
• "Traders & Builders" with trade-goods, pigs and builders.
• "The Princess and the Dragon" with dragon, princess, fairy and magic portals.
• Easy mode that does not count Fields, ideal for Kids
• 9 different AI players: (Hans, Count, Countess, Maid, Servant, Juggler, Fortune Teller, Witch and Warlock)
• Play with up to five players passing one device around
• Unique Solitaire mode
• Local network play
• Internet multiplayer with Push Notifications
• Online and offline ranking
• Game Center Achievements
• Comprehensive in-game manual
• Tutorials with voice acting
• Compete for the best score in Solitaire Game of the Week
• Chat function for Internet and local network games
• Play with Game Center friends
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
• How do I redownload my Expansions?
You can restore your purchases free of charge in the app's purchases menu. (The treasure chest in the main menu.)
• Help! I’m trapped in a menu screen!
Try opening http://carcassonneapp.com/cleanup.html in your iPad’s or iPhone’s Safari.
• What about more Expansions?
We are continuing to work on further expansions. Please don't hesitate to tell us which one you'd like to see next!
• Can I play asynchronously?
Yes. In "Play with Friends" you can leave the app and will be notified when it's your turn again. No pressure though, unlike "Quick Play" there are no time limits.
• Can I play against my familiy or friends by passing the device around?
Yes, of course. Up to five players can play on the same device.
• Do I need to buy the expansions to participate in a game with expansions?
If you are playing local network multiplayer you can share an expansion with your opponents. To play online multiplayer, you need to buy the expansion to play with it.
• Can I play with expansions in quick play?
Yes. However currently we limit the combinations of the expansions in quick play to avoid fragmentation of the player base and longer waiting times for games. We try to give three or four useful combinations for quick play.
What's New in Version 3.35NEW EXPANSION: The Princess and the Dragon
• The Dragon rampages through the country, eating everything in its way
• The Princess kicks meeple out of her castle
• Magic Portals are like a teleportation spell for your meeple
• The Fairy protects meeple from the Dragon and grants extra points
FIXES in 3.35:
• The princess and dragon expansion had to be restored manually after updating to 3.33
FIXES in 3.33:
• Scoring occurred before a Dragon move instead of after
• Detailed scoring confusingly displayed the Inn in games without Inns & Cathedrals rules
• Players could not place the fairy if they had no meeple left and played a princess tile
FIXES in 3.32:
• River cards were not shown in the remaining tiles overview on iPhone
• The game could freeze after placing a tile
• The iPhone would not show the double meeple in the status bar
• The game would not zoom out automatically anymore on the iPad
• The fairy was sometimes displayed twice or in the wrong place
• Local multplayer game did not work if a device was restored from a backup
• Sometimes, avatar images were not displayed
• An area could be scored twice under certain conditions
• Fixed display of scores of 100 or higher
• In-app purchases could fail under certain conditions
FIX in 3.31:
• iPad users could be stuck in the Resume Game Screen