- Official Carcassonne gameplay with an alternative Solitaire mode.
- Local and Online multiplayer modes.
- Spoken tutorial for new players.
- Excellent value for money.
- iPad users will need to wait for a native version - that said, it will be a free update.
Despite only being published a decade ago, Carcassonne has all the hallmarks of a classic board-game and grabbing a version to play on the go is a boon that no one should miss.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The Coding Monkeys have done an excellent job of transforming the sensational board-game title of Carcassonne to the iPhone. That's jumping the gun on the review, but if you're already a fan of the addictive board-game published by Hans im Glück then that should be all you really need to hear. For everyone else, this is an opportunity you just can't miss.
Like many board-games, the space requirements can become utterly daunting to deal with, especially when confronted with a game like Carcassonne that allows players to place tiles down in order to create a spanning web of castles and road-filled countrysides. Each turn players are given a random card to add to the field that must correctly join up with another card, providing opportunities to place down their 'meeple' to help score points. Players can be cunning and block opportunities created by others, but meeple left on the board will accumulate points once the available cards have run out.
The game's interface is simple and easy to manage, with tiles gracefully sliding in to place and completed territories are marked for future reference. Automatic end-game scoring is a boon to those familiar with the laborious task of counting the remaining accumulated point. For those after an extra challenge, a solitaire mode has been included with high-score boards and the ability to challenge friends with the exact same tileset you've used.
Compared to purchasing the full board-game, this is an absolute steal and a must have for all social gamers.
DescriptionFamous boardgame and great iOS experience, with expansions as in-app purchases.
"iPhone Game of the Year", iTunes Rewind Germany.
"The single best board game experience in the App Store", gamezebo
"Carcassonne does just about everything right on the iPhone", ars technica
"It is quite simply one of the most polished games on the platform", wired.com
"There's nothing like a sneaky farmer to push you across the winning line", Edge Magazine
"Beautiful and intuitive", joystiq
"Carcassonne is as good as it gets", EGM
"Of all the tabletop games I have played on my iPad while pooping, nothing has as much time invested in it as Carcassonne", Wil Wheaton
Play the original award winning board game Carcassonne with friends, family, or other board game enthusiasts - online or offline.
Build a medieval landscape, tile by tile, claim landmarks with your followers and score points. As a winner of the prestigious "Spiel des Jahres" award in 2001, the game allows for a plethora of play styles and strategies. If you like social gaming or board games you will love Carcassonne!
• Official Carcassonne game with original artwork
• Universal App - Buy once, play on iPad and iPhone
• Expansions available via In-App-Purchase
• "The River" adds a new strategic element to the game play
• "Inns and Cathedrals" adds a double follower and tiles to upvalue cities and roads.
• "Traders & Builders" with trade-goods, pigs and builders.
• "Princess & Dragon" with dragon, princess, fairy and magic portals.
• "Phantom" adds the phantom, a game piece you can place in addition to other followers.
• "Winter" with a new theme, tiles, and the Gingerbread Man.
• "Double Base Tile Set" adds the possibility to play with twice the amount of base game (or winter) cards.
• Easy mode that does not count Fields, ideal for Kids
• 9 different AI players: (Hans, Count, Countess, Maid, Servant, Juggler, Fortune Teller, Witch and Warlock)
• Play with up to five players passing one device around
• Unique Solitaire mode
• Local network play
• Internet multiplayer with Push Notifications
• Online and offline ranking
• Game Center Achievements
• Comprehensive in-game manual
• Tutorials with voice acting
• Compete for the best score in Solitaire Game of the Week
• Chat function for Internet and local network games
• Play with Game Center friends
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
• How do I redownload my Expansions?
You can restore your purchases free of charge in the app's purchases menu. (The treasure chest in the main menu.)
• Help! I’m trapped in a menu screen!
Try opening http://carcassonneapp.com/cleanup.html in your iPad’s or iPhone’s Safari.
• What about more Expansions?
We are continuing to work on further expansions. Please don't hesitate to tell us which one you'd like to see next!
• Can I play asynchronously?
Yes. In "Play with Friends" you can leave the app and will be notified when it's your turn again. No pressure though, unlike "Quick Play" there are no time limits.
• Can I play against my familiy or friends by passing the device around?
Yes, of course. Up to five players can play on the same device.
• Do I need to buy the expansions to participate in a game with expansions?
If you are playing local network multiplayer you can share an expansion with your opponents. To play online multiplayer, you need to buy the expansion to play with it.
• Can I play with expansions in quick play?
Yes. However currently we limit the combinations of the expansions in quick play to avoid fragmentation of the player base and longer waiting times for games. We try to give three or four useful combinations for quick play. There is also the "Automatic" category that tries to match you up with anyone who wants to play right now.
What's New in Version 4.02NEW EXPANSION: Winter and Gingerbread Man
• The winter has arrived in Carcassonne: snow and icicles everywhere
• The Gingerbread Man travels from city to city and hands out tasty bonus points
NEW EXPANSION: Double Base Tile Set
• Double the base game cards - like playing with two boxes of Carcassonne!
• Optimized for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
• 64-bit support
FIXES in 4.02
• The remaining tiles overview showed some tiles as still available even if they weren't.
• Some impossible placements were not marked as such.
• There was a winter tile whose cities were not counted properly for field scorings.
FIXES in 4.01
• In some cases there were crosses in places where they should not have been quite yet.
• Sometimes tiles that could have been placed were discarded.
• The chat lines are more readable on the icy plains.
• The winter tiles are sorted right in the remaining tiles overview.
• The UI behaves more consistent when replaying moves on another device.
• There were additional shadows when changing tables on the iPad.
• Buttons could vanish on the iPhone.
• Additional improvements for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
• The remaining tiles overview on older iPads is sharper now.
• The rule picker on older iPads did not scroll sometimes.
• There was a city counting a pennant which does not have one.
• Sharing of game results on the iPad works again.
• Even less typos in the manual section.
FIXES in 4.0
• The goods in the status bar were misaligned sometimes.
• The display of the rule options are nicer now when creating and selecting a game.
• There were some cases where the builder bonus move was eaten by the dragon.
• Under certain circumstances it was possible to remove a wrong follower with the princess.
• Sometimes followers kept on pulsing after a princess move was finished.
• The double follower in the tally is not tiny anymore.
• Now using the native Game Center logo on every iOS version.
• No more friend requests from yourself when registering on a new device.
• Chat messages are now displayed more reliably.
• Less typos in the manual section.
• Fixes smaller display and graphic glitches.
• Lots of stability improvements.