- Eight unique game modes to explore.
- Comprehensive gameplay 'tutorial'.
- Clever pairing of audio to the use of time-control feature.
- Smaller display makes zooming out more of an eyesore.
- Not a title for the impatient.
From the PC to the iPad and now the iPhone, Osmos brings its unique pure physics gameplay with all the charm to gamers no matter where they are.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Osmos by Hemisphere Games isn't your typical physics based game and after a brief stint on the iPad, iPhone owners can also check out this simple and absorbing title. In the Blobiverse, Newton's laws are king and you'll need to exploit your ability to fire bits of yourself in order to absorb smaller life-forms until you're the largest around.
Osmos is an elegantly simple title to get in to, with 27 missions to introduce new players to each of the game's different modes and concepts. By tapping the screen you unleash a small percent of your mass which in this weightless friction-free environment means you'll start traveling in the opposite direction, albeit slowly. Fire off more and you'll move faster, but beware of careening in to larger blobs as you'll be immediately absorbed. Time can also be controlled with a swipe of the finger, speeding up to allow for control without using too much mass or slowing down when you've accidentally flung yourself around a gravity well and picked up too much speed.
What truly brings Osmos together is its unique artistic charm, from the blobs that look like organic galaxies to the music that lazily drifts along until you speed up or slow down, shifting the pitch and speed in turn. Better yet, each of the game's eight modes feel great to play and run the gamut from relaxing to aggressive styles.
Osmos avoids the trap of self-indulgent gameplay that plagues so many other Indie titles and if you're after something unique and relaxing to enjoy, this is the title for you.
Description** 66% off in celebration of the vernal equinox. Happy Spring everyone! **
** Apple's iPad Game of the Year and featured in the App Store Hall of Fame! **
Enter the Darwinian world of a galactic mote. To survive, absorb smaller organisms and grow—but beware of larger predators. Osmos features unique physics-based play, stellar graphics, and a hypnotic ambient soundtrack. Absorb or be absorbed!
“The ultimate ambient experience” — Gizmodo
“Beyond doubt, a work of genius" — GameAndPlayer.net
you must grow by absorbing smaller motes, but to propel yourself you must eject matter behind you, causing you to shrink. From this delicate balance, Osmos leads the player through floating playgrounds, competitive petri dishes, deep solar systems, and more.
“Named as iPad Game of the Year for a reason, Osmos is a fantastic game. A combination of physics, survival and classic eat em up” — WeDoCode
“Whether you're a child at heart who likes mucking about with single-cell organisms, or a strategist with a physics degree, this game will appeal to everyone.” — App Store review
AWARDS / recognition:
* "iPad Game of the Year" and "iPhone App of the Week" — Apple
* Apple Design Award winner (iPad version)
* #1 Top iPhone Game — IGN
* iPad Game of the Year — TUAW
* Game of the Year — Create Digital Music
* Editor's Choice — Wired, Macworld, IGN, GameTunnel, and more...
* Best in Show — IndieCade
* Vision Award — Independent Games Festival
* Coolest Atmosphere — IGN
* Best Soundtrack — IGN
* Most Innovative Game — Best App Ever Awards, Pocket Gamer
* Many top lists including Kotaku, PAX, TouchArcade, iLounge, APPera, IFC, and more...
* New: Multiplayer! (more info below.)
* 72 levels spanning 8 distinct worlds: Ambient, Antimatter, Solar, Sentient, Repulsor, Impasse, Warped Chaos, and Epicycles.
* Full Retina & 4-inch screen support.
* Award-winning electronic soundtrack by Loscil, Gas, High Skies, Biosphere, Julien Neto, and more.
* Seamlesss multitouch controls: swipe to warp time, tap anywhere to eject mass, pinch to zoom…
* Endless replay value: play random versions of any level in Arcade mode.
* Time-warping: slow down the flow of time to outmaneuver agile opponents; speed it up to raise the challenge.
* Confront four distinct AI opponents: the Ovarium, the Biophobe, the Nemocyte… and the deadly Ferax.
* Earn 13 single-player and 15 multiplayer achievements, with Game Center integration.
* Progress synced via iCloud.
*** NEW MULTIPLAYER ***
* Play against your friends and enemies, locally (via wi-fi or Bluetooth), or over the Internet!
* 6 distinct Arenas: Ambient, Impasse, Solar, Warped Chaos, Epicycles, and introducing… Antimatter Impasse.
* iPad vs. iPhone play supported.
“a beautiful, absorbing experience." — IGN
5/5 - Macworld Editor’s Choice - “One of the best games we’ve played so far this year. An utterly serene, yet fiendishly complicated game that deserves a place in every iPad owners collection.” — MacWorld
“The best iPad game yet.” — IGN
4/4, Must Have - “We are more than overwhelmed by Osmos for iPad… The game design is thoughtful and intuitive, new level structures are flawless, and the visuals are stunning yet simplistic… every iPad owner should have Osmos on their device. You just won’t find another experience quite like it.” — Slide To Play
“What iPad Gaming Should Be All About” — Gizmodo
“The first proper breakout hit for the iPad. Osmos feels so natural and enjoyable to play, even when the difficulty ramps up and you find yourself repeatedly careening into a giant gaseous enemy.” — Wired
“It’s the best iPad game on the App Store” — MTV Multiplayer
5/5 - “Osmos is an absolute must that will change the way you think of games, and what you expect from them.” — AppAdvice
“Beyond doubt, a work of genius... a relaxing, meditative experience about going with the flow... It all adds up to something otherworldly and just . . . incredible.” — GameAndPlayer.net
What's New in Version 126.96.36.199.1:
• Fix for rare startup crash.
• 4 new achievements!
• Multi-language support: German, French, Spanish, Italian, Inuktitut, Chinese, Japanese, Russian and English.
• Minor UI changes and fixes.