Mad Skills Motocross Review
- Challenging semi-realistic racing.
- Fine-tuned physics to contend with; bikes can break with sharp impacts as well.
- Previous time-attack runs saved as ghosts to compete against.
- Steep learning curve; only minimal assistance given for teaching advanced concepts.
While Mad Skills Motocross may look like another casual racer, it is in fact a very technical and challenging title to master, giving hardcore racing fans and gamers a run for their money.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
If you never had a chance to play the classic motocross racer 'Excitebike' back in the day then you may have missed out on a genuinely (and I'm sorry to say it) exciting racer that challenged players with its semi-realistic style that rewarded players that carefully managed their bikes instead of simply smashing the accelerator. Mad Skills Motocross by Turborilla feels like a serious revival of this classic racer, pitting players against AI opponents while using minimalistic controls that affect your bike's performance with a surprising amount of fidelity.
Initially the game is relatively simple, pitting you against an AI opponent or a specific challenge in order to successfully complete a level. However, while surviving and unlocking additional levels is relatively simple, taking the next step and winning races represents a skill ceiling that's hard to overcome. Almost every aspect of your bike's balance is under your control, which is absolutely fantastic from a realism perspective as tiny shifts in your weight can mean the difference between jumping a trough or slamming in to a hill. But this fine level of detail isn't easy to master and the AI is completely without pity, almost perfectly smashing its way through a level (even without power-ups) while you're left eating dirt thanks to one tiny mistake.
With practiced repetition it's possible to memorize the exact maneuvers required to edge out your AI opponent, but this often feels like a cop-out as you can't predict what's coming ahead on your initial runs, precluding any sense of skill in beating the AI. Thankfully the tracks are often compact and relatively easy to learn, so hitting the restart button isn't so frustrating.
If you're after a casual racing challenge you'll not find it here; Mad Skills Motocross makes the most of its realistic physics and control to truly challenge players to overcome each level. It's an addictive racer that punishes imperfection while testing your patience, but thankfully the fault is almost always on the player so it's hard to hate this pocket-rocket title.
Description- “If you're in the market for a fast-paced arcade-style racing game it doesn't get much better than Mad Skills Motocross.” TouchArcade.com
- “Mad Skills Motocross is maybe the best game in the genre.” AppCraver.com
- “Mad Skills MX is a should buy that will have your finger glued to the green gas pedal for hours.” AppAdvice.com
- “Mad Skills is loads of fun and a great app in every aspect.” AppSafari.com
- “Mad Skills Motocross is a must-have iPhone game for any racing game fan.” Download.cnet.com
- “It’s a huge amount of fun for the price and you’ll find yourself easily spending hours trying to shave off a few precious milliseconds from your previous best time.” 148apps.com
- “This simply is a must-buy for all stunt-racing fans.” AppModo.com
Now includes Amateur and Pro modes, for both casual and high-level gamers!
Description: Turning a fan-favorite genre on its head, the hyper-addictive Mad Skills Motocross plays and feels like no other side-scrolling racing game. The unparalleled physics engine and unexpected power-ups give you a level of control that you have to play to believe. Launch off an enormous jump, land on your rear wheel, hit the throttle, and leave your opponent in a spray of dirt—then brag about it on Facebook and Twitter! Mad Skills Motocross is fun for novices but deep enough for nearly endless competitive high-level play. You’ll need to master wheelies, stoppies, nitro, rocket boots, backflips, front flips, and much more to truly be the best.
See what players of the desktop version of Mad Skills Motocross have known since 2009: it’s the best side-scrolling motocross game ever made.
Get it today!
* NEW: Tournament - Play against other's replays for real prizes
* Change the appearance of your bike and rider
* Compete on 52 tracks, from easy to very technical
* 30 more awesome tracks available as in-app purchases
* Compete in Career or Time Attack modes
* Compete in either Amateur or Pro modes for varying levels of difficulty
* Ten additional free tracks for everyone
* Two bonus tracks for our social media friends
* Use five different power-ups to find faster ways through tracks
* Race your own "ghost"
* Watch replays of your best races
* Rub in victories over friends on Facebook and Twitter
See the official trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X--W1x4nbA
Gift this app! Just click the arrow beside the Buy App icon.