Swords and Sandals Review
- Publisher: Fertilemind Advisors LLC
- Genre: Role Playing
- Released: 9 Sep, 2010
- Size: 27.9 MB
- Price: $3.99
- Gladiatorial turn-based strategic action
- Lots of unique enemies to overcome.
- Tavern 'gambling' currently broken; source of almost infinite cash.
Sword and Sandals remains a great concept and it can still be fun to play if you can restrict yourself from exploiting the tavern gambling feature and get lucky in combat now and then.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Sword and Sandals by 3RDsense continues the tradition of bringing free flash titles over to the App Store, but instead of merely cashing in with a direct port this version has been given some serious upgrades and tweaks over the free one. In this title you'll battle against vast amounts of gladiators, one at a time, until you rest easy as the ultimate champion.
For those familiar with the series, the App Store version is an adaption of the second title that has been tweaked with a few additional features from their newer releases. After creating your gladiator you're thrown in to a turn-based combat system where you'll have to please the crowd while eliminating your enemies in order to gain experience and cash to equip yourself for these unforgiving battles. And I'm not kidding about the unforgiving part - dying or otherwise losing is quite easy early on, but through persistence and a bit of luck you'll start to turn the tide in your favor with magic spells, enchanted equipment and the occasional trip to the tavern for more cash.
Graphically the game is best described as simplistic, but for what it lacks in polish or style it makes up for with sheer variety in different characters and equipment. This can make the game extremely entertaining, especially considering the effort that has gone in to giving just about everyone a unique one-line back story.
However, balance issues such as the easy-money scam in the tavern to the luck-based combat keep Sword and Sandals from remaining fun through to the end; fun, but ultimately too flawed to recommend outright.
Released from your chains in a dark cell and thrust into the arena you must fight for your life, fame and fortune. If it is your destiny you will survive the brutal colosseums and gain riches and glory beyond all your dreams.
At last, the popular gladiatorial combat series Swords & Sandals series comes to the iPhone. Swords & Sandals is a gladiatorial RPG in which you train a gladiator and test him in battle against hordes of other fighters. As your gladiator competes in various duels and tournaments, you will be rewarded with gold and experience.
You will need to train and arm your gladiator wisely, for soon you will be fighting the greatest warriors in the world. With a wealth of weapons, magic, armour and skill the fate of your gladiator rests in your mighty hands.
** SWORDS AND SANDALS IS RECOMMENDED FOR iPHONE 3GS 3 AND ABOVE **
Swords and Sandals iPhone features
• Hundreds of different weapons and armour pieces.
• Learn wondrous magic to utilise spells and potions
• Enchant weapons and armour to grow in power
• Four shops to buy items to strengthen your gladiator
• 18 tournaments featuring elite Arena Champions to challenge
• Fight gladiators in six different arenas
• Powerful attacks including 'Battle Rage' and 'Psyche Up'.
• Save and customise your gladiator and train him in seven different skills
• Learn about the lore of the game, play some dice and view past glories in the Village Hall
What's New in Version 1.7* iOS 7 compatibility
* Small stability/compatibilty fixes for earlier versions of iOS
* Minor balance and bugfixes