LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 Review
- Simple, all-ages friendly gameplay.
- Additional puzzles in the place of larger levels.
- A bonanza of extras for compulsive gamers.
- Awkward movement controls.
- Long menu loading times.
While the lack of suitable controls can prove to be bothersome, it doesn't take away from the game's otherwise simple and compelling gameplay.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
It's hard not to have been infected with Potter-fever over the last decade and while it's not a universally loved franchise, there is certainly enough fandom to justify the pairing with LEGO's popular game series. Matching the two is a recipe for obsessive compulsive gaming that stretches generations and even if you've played the title on other consoles you're likely to lose just as much time on this release.
But first lets address the elephant in the corner, the controls; in particular, the movement controls. Players can ambulate around the screens in one of two methods, either tapping to set way-points for your character or holding down your finger to drag them around as if on an elastic tether. Both methods feel rough and unsuited to iDevices as fine movement with way-points is impossible and holding down your finger obscures most of the screen. Outside of movement, the controls are surprisingly well adapted and help to absorb players in to the world of Harry Potter as you fling spells with flicks, swipes and other gestures unique to each character and situation.
As the title suggests you'll follow Harry through the first four novels, beginning with classes to teach you the basics and ending as a competitor in the Triwizard Tournament. Each area in the game is carefully rendered with iconic features highlighted in the novels and films and once an area is completed players can come back in 'Free-play' modes to collect additional bonuses such as unique spells, new characters and costumes to customize them with.
Despite its control flaws, LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 is a refined application of the LEGO game franchise and an apt conversion of the lore of Harry Potter. Young or old, fans of the novels should not miss an opportunity like this.
DescriptionExperience the events of Harry Potter's first four years at Hogwarts – LEGO® style! Also check out LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, available now!
-Top iPhone Game of 2010 (RPG Category) - TouchArcade***
"This is the game to show your doubting friends as I don't believe a game of this depth or breadth presently exists on the App Store, and certainly not one with the care and attention that the Warner Bros. team have expended on it."(TouchArcade.com)
"Okay, so if you're buying only one game this week, which one should it be? No contest: Lego Harry Potter. It's that good, even if you're not a fan of boy wizards or building blocks."(CNET.com)
"...early impressions seem to indicate that this could be one of the best games currently on the platform."(Kotaku.com)
"LEGO Harry Potter looks razor sharp on a Retina display device."(IGN - 8 out of 10)
"...instantly charming and thoroughly impressive."(PocketGamer - 8 out of 10)
Play as Harry, Ron, Hermione and many more as you explore Hogwarts and engage in countless hours of gameplay spread across 40+ levels based on the Harry Potter books and movies. LEGO® Harry Potter™: Years 1-4 brings the world of LEGO® Harry Potter to life on the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, giving gamers the power to play with LEGO characters and models in a brand new way. Based on the first four Harry Potter books and movies, LEGO® Harry Potter: Years 1-4 builds on the foundations of previous LEGO® video games by offering a mix of fun, accessible gameplay and light-hearted humor – appealing to all ages. Players can explore the wizarding world and feel as though they are at Hogwarts.
• The Events of Harry Potter’s First Four Years at Hogwarts – LEGO® style! – including the Triwizard Tournament, the Quidditch World Cup, the Basilisk battle in the Chamber of Secrets, the encounter with Aragog and the face-to-face confrontation with Voldemort himself.
• Stunning Graphics – take advantage of the Retina Display.
• Intuitive Touch-Screen Controls – take complete control over your character to explore, solve puzzles and duel.
• An Authentic Harry Potter Experience:
• Visit Iconic locations – including Diagon Alley, the Forbidden Forest, the village of Hogsmeade and Hogwarts castle – a grand, immersive 3-D environment and the largest, most detailed LEGO® game location ever built.
• Play as over 100 characters – including Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger.
• Attend Hogwarts – cast spells, mix potions, fly on broomsticks and complete hundreds of magical tasks to earn points.
• Character Customization – using hundreds of different LEGO® Harry Potter pieces.
• Classic LEGO® Humor – enjoy the characteristic comedic LEGO® ‘twist’ on events from the fiction.
• Endless Replayability – use ‘Freeplay’ to discover areas of gameplay not accessible in Story Mode.
• Collectables – pick up a huge variety of items throughout the game.
**Check out these other exciting WB apps:
• Scribblenauts Remix
• Tapper World Tour
• Tapper World Tour HD (iPad only)
• Harry Potter: Spells
• LEGO Batman: Gotham City Games
What's New in Version 2.4Game Center Updates