Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden FREE Review
- Vivid, varied dungeons and puzzles.
- Fun boss battles; challenging without being impossible.
- Random, jerky pauses to load new areas mid-level.
- Combat lacks life; straight brawling with little impact or tactics.
- Did you really need a fairy guide? No. You didn't. *smacks nose with rolled up newspaper*
Fans of dungeon-exploring adventure titles will get a kick out of Sacred Odyssey, but it lacks the spark of vitality of its source material.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck. Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden is exactly what it sets out to be, a Zelda-like; and to perfectly frank, it doesn't do a bad job of it either. Despite walking a line that straddles originality and shameless parody, Gameloft's latest title remains engaging despite some questionable flaws.
Jumping in to the game is relatively simple, especially for those familiar with similar 3rd person action titles on the App Store. A camera lazily chases behind your character while you control the movement with a virtual stick and switch between weapons, block and attack with buttons and touch menus. Much like any Zelda-like you'll collect new items in each major dungeon, granting you access to new skills that unlock additional areas. You'll get plenty of practice with your new item thanks to boss fights based around its specific mechanic, though this often involves selecting the weapon, tapping targets on screen and activating it for an effect.
The game's simple visuals are tempered by flashy special effects that don't go so far as to cover the limited animations in the game. This kills a lot of the fun of fighting enemies as you slide around the screen and perform strikes that lack any weight. Furthermore, without the ability to lock on or effectively block/dodge after performing a combination attack, battles turn in to repetitive brawls that test your ability to spam the attack button instead of your tactical skill or reactions. Combat aside, the dungeons do a great job of tying the game together, with multiple puzzles to solve in each one and incentives to explore side-paths for bonus collectable items.
Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden is far from a masterpiece, but it's still a hard game to put down once you've started on the quest. If you don't mind a bumpy ride and you're after a solid action adventure title, this is for you.
Description"The combination of a quality story, good combat, tough puzzles, and amazing production values make Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden well worth your time and money." - SlidetoPlay.com, 4/4.
Plunge into the most ambitious Action RPG ever released on iOS! Become Ayden, a young hero chosen by the god Uryah to save the kingdom of Lasgalen from the Apocalypse. Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden is an amazing adventure in a majestic world that will fascinate you for countless hours.
Take your first steps on this epic adventure for FREE. Then, if you’re ready to take up the challenge, unlock the full game through in-app purchase.
** IMPORTANT: ONCE PURCHASED, THE GAME CAN BE DELETED AND REINSTALLED FREELY ON ANY COMPATIBLE DEVICE REGISTERED TO YOUR ACCOUNT.
** Confirm that your device is compatible. This game is only compatible with 3rd and 4th generations of iPod touch (16/32/64GB) devices along with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPad. Before downloading, please check the back of your device to make sure that it meets the system requirements.
A TIMELESS LEGEND
- The peace of the world is now being threatened. Reunite the 4 fragments of Uryah’s Grail and gain supernatural powers to defeat Amonbane, the dark lord at the heart of Lasgalen’s suffering.
- The fight against the demonic Amonbane will mean difficult decisions for Ayden, and Princess Lyanora will help him throughout. But when the moment comes to save the world, will Ayden be ready to make the greatest sacrifice?
AN EPIC ADVENTURE IN A FANTASTIC OPEN WORLD
- Ride your horse, Miya, across the expansive plains of the kingdom and launch powerful sword strikes as you gallop through fields of enemies. Your journey will introduce you to many locations and foes.
- Defeat evil creatures in the Plains of Urvale, fend off enormous bosses in the icy Temple of Altemagus and the volcanic Firepitch Keep to ultimately face Amonbane himself in the royal halls of Kivira Castle.
ALL THE GREATNESS OF A TRUE ACTION/RPG
- Begin your journey with but a simple sword, acquiring new weapons and abilities along the way. Soon, you will wield the Sacred Shield, Locrian Hawk (boomerang), the Nagual Cobra (grappling hook) and even the platinum Gauntlet of Brakor.
- Each new piece of equipment will grant you access to new areas, new techniques and greater danger. They will even help you to overcome the many enigmas and challenges you face.
Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.