N.O.V.A. 2 - Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance Review
- Luscious environments and crisp 3D visuals.
- Career-based online multiplayer; 5v5 modes and lots of customization.
- AI responds semi-intelligently to combat situations.
- Bonuses for owners of the original title.
- Shield-power ability button poorly placed for most configurations.
- Voice acting falls on the bad side of 'cheesy' more often than not.
N.O.V.A. 2 is a great sequel to what was a great game last year; the inclusion of a career-based online multiplayer gives the game a life well beyond the single-player, but don't rush in to the online matches because the single-player is definitely worth finishing first.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
A year ago the first title in the N.O.V.A. series managed to stun audiences with its incredibly sharp visuals, paired with excellent near-console quality gameplay that may have felt slavish to its inspirations, but still managed to impress regardless of this. The sequel is much the same, though the inclusion of a larger campaign; career-based online multiplay; and smarter AI opponents shows that Gameloft are serious about taking this game to the next level.
Those who have played Gameloft's other recent FPS title (Modern Combat 2) will already be familiar with the basic control options available, however the addition of special abilities means that you'll need to consider a setup that gives you quick access to them. I stress the point only because of how useful the abilities are in controlling the combat you're engaged in as units constantly try to flank or out-position you throughout the game's campaign. And when you're not shooting enemies with your guns you'll get to pilot some vehicles to add some variety to the gameplay.
Despite the larger size of each level, the campaign won't take much longer than the original to finish, however this only means you can jump in to the multiplayer that much sooner. Maps from the first title have made it over to the sequel (along with an appropriate amount of polishing) and engaging in 5v5 multiplayer modes is a blast, especially as players can make use of a career system to level up for access to perks to specialize the way you play. Killing your opponents is also a snap thanks to the amazingly smooth and detailed visuals that help to highlight players even at great distances, making online combat extremely competitive for those who have mastered the game's controls.
N.O.V.A. 2 is just what fans of the original ordered and then some; a definite must buy for fans of the original and sci-fi first person shooters.
DescriptionThe ultimate sci-fi FPS is back! Get ready to step into a whole new level of gaming on your Apple device.
Pocket Gamer - 9/10 + Gold Award: "Without question, it's the finest first-person shooter on iPhone and iPod touch to date, replacing its predecessor with sharper action, killer graphics, and the best multiplayer experience around."
IGN - 8.5/10 + Editor's Choice: "The controls are smooth, which helps so much when the action gets furious."
The AppEra: "N.O.V.A. 2 is simply the BEST FPS on the App Store right now. Go get it, now."
TouchGen: "Intense and highly addictive."
iLounge: "It’s hard to find a game with this much content and intensity at any price."
148apps: "N.O.V.A. 2 really does feel almost console worthy."
App Advice: "The best online multiplayer around with quick connection, and ten player battles."
BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER!
- Meet new enemies with improved AI! Volterites’ new tactics make the gyroscope controls ideal
- Master a larger range of weapons & powers
- Much more diversified gameplay: run, shoot, fall, drive a motorbike, pilot a giant mech, and blast a laser
- The more, the merrier, now with up to 10 players in 10 multiplayer maps
- Build a career and rise through the multiplayer leaderboard
- Explore new locations, offering amazing graphics, fully optimized for the Retina display
- Enjoyed the first N.O.V.A. – Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance? Be rewarded with extra bonuses.
6 years have passed since the events depicted in the first episode.
Humanity is now thrown into a bloody civil war fought on one side by the central government of the Terran Orbitals and the self-appointed Human-Alien Alliance; a new organization with a mysterious origin and agenda. Kal Wardin left active service in N.O.V.A. years ago and now lives among the colonists of the desert planet Scorpius.
But war never spares even the most peaceful places...
AN UNPARALLELED SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN:
- 12 chapters taking you through hostile, yet amazing environments of various Orbitals
- Over a dozen weapons including the Dual Hand Guns, Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Automatic Shotgun, Sniper Rifle, Rocket Launcher, Grenade Launcher, Alien Plasma Gun, Alien Lightning Gun, Alien Laser Gun, Turrets, Frag Grenades and Mines
- 3 special powers: Freeze, Slow Time and Disc for melee combat
- A wide range of enemies with improved AI, for even more intense combats
INTENSE MULTIPLAYER MODES:
- 1~10 players online or locally
- 5 modes: Free for All, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Freeze Tag, and InstaGib
- Ranking & Perk systems
- 10 maps on which to battle it out
- Play against your friends or the entire world through Gameloft LIVE!
- Worldwide leaderboards in the game & on the official website, www.near-orbit-vanguard-alliance.com
EXCLUSIVE REWARDS FOR VETERAN PLAYERS
If you played the first episode:
- Jump into multiplayer with bonus XP, allowing you access to advanced weaponry
- Unlock a special achievement on Gameloft LIVE!
JOIN THE FIGHT WITH MANY OTHER FANS!
Enlist on Twitter @NOVA_fps
Visit www.near-orbit-vanguard-alliance.com for more information.
Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.
What's New in Version 1.1.7Multiplayer Map Pack 1 delivers 3 additional multiplayer maps, featuring brand-new battlefields:
- Floating Rocks: These low-orbit platforms were designed as opulent resorts. Now they’re desirable vantage points. This map provides the ideal environment for close-range conflict between small teams. Hold the high ground to rain gunfire down on enemies. But one misstep can lead to a quick trip to the planet’s surface.
- Aquarius Beach: This facility once housed hundreds of N.O.V.A. trainees. Now, it’s a mid-range killing field with prime sniper nests and plenty of natural cover. But don’t get comfortable in one spot; many paths make it easy to flank the unaware. The ability to adapt to interior and exterior combat is key to survival here.
- Icy Bridge: This vast Volterite mining complex uses an energy field to stay suspended between mountains. While you can walk on this field, it does not obstruct weapons. It's great for getting the drop on unsuspecting targets, but provides no cover from counterattacks. Large teams often vie for control of the strategic center facility.
Get 10 free XP levels in multiplayer.
Better protection against hacking thanks to bug fixes.