N.Y.Zombies 2 Review
- Blends a realistic visual style with an arcade-like gameplay appeal. Rewards players for specialization, while still encouraging diversity.
- Online co-op makes for a great way to take out those hard stages.
- Lacks detail in animations; visually beautiful, but 'zombies' is no excuse for stiff characters.
- Very easy to get stuck on the environment; collision detection on some levels can be horrifically frustrating.
N.Y.Zombies 2 is exactly what the series needed as it expands its ideas beyond the tiny rooms it used to inhabit and places them in a much larger, and far more terrifying real world.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
N.Y.Zombies 2 by Foursaken Media is the sort of game that makes you glad that a developer is willing to listen to their fans. Building upon the original in just about every way, it's still a flawed experience, but one that manages to exploit the mixed state of realism and fantasy.
No lengthy story set up is needed - zombies are here and you need to survive. What follows is a series of missions that follow a fairly basic story filled with protecting survivors and attempting to escape to better fortified positions. Gone are the tiny and limited environments where you defend from waves of enemies and in its place are significantly larger ares you can explore and interact with - be it to set up a barricade or open up more of the stage.
Defending yourself is where things get a little bit unrealistic (not the least of which is your seemingly endless supply of ammunition), but it's here where the game's mechanics kick in to make things challenging. While you could sport a range of high-powered weapons bought at a not insignificant cost, their reload times may leave you entirely too vulnerable. As such you'll want to invest in a handful of weapons that suit your style, further backed up by unlockable skills that augment and provide bonuses to your preferred weapon.
Cash, skill points and gold can be earned throughout the course of the game (with the latter being more abundant in the occasional unique side-mission), giving you just enough to ensure each mission remains challenging. Should the game prove to be too easy, there are higher difficulties to unlock.
In fact, attempting missions too hard for you is probably the best way to play as you can bring in friends via GameCenter to play the stage in an online co-op mode.
N.Y.Zombies 2 isn't without its flaws though, notably the texturing and environments may be far more detailed, but the animations and quirky collision detection can make things awkward - especially if you choose to specialize in melee combat. Also, the somewhat slow pace of your character can make exploration-based missions a chore.
Still, it's a small price to pay for a solid upgrade to a great zombie-survival title and while it's not perfect it's easy to recommend if you enjoy a spot of mindless combat.
DescriptionThe world you once knew is gone. The bustling streets of New York are now quiet, except for the occasional cry for help. Your friends, your family, your neighbors and coworkers are all dead. The end of the world has come… and it seems strangely familiar.
Foursaken Media presents New York Zombies 2 – a sequel to the smash hit, and one of the original games of the genre, New York Zombies. You are an ordinary person who must survive in a new and hostile world. Everyone you once knew has become a creature whose only instinct is to hunt and kill the few remaining people who are unaffected. The odds are stacked against you – but you aren’t defenseless! Unleash a massive arsenal as you battle hordes of zombies across a ruined New York City landscape. Explore famous landmarks such as Times Square, Central Park, and the Brooklyn Bridge, now twisted and overrun by zombies. Uncover an epic and dynamic story as you try to find out what happened – and how to survive. N.Y.Z 2 takes you into a dark and action-packed world where there are no heroes, and the decisions between survival, morality, and humanity are no longer clear.
The reviews are in for one of the best zombie shooters of 2012!
“With great visuals, an expanded skill set, online co-op and well done presentation and theatrics N.Y.Zombies 2 is a great sequel and worth the wait.”
“With zombie games in the App Store becoming a tired concept, NY Zombies 2′s quality and depth make it a must-own for fans of the undead, and FPS gamers looking for something fresh on their iPhone or iPad.”
“Overall, [N.Y.Zombies 2] is a lot of fun for fans of zombie themed first-person shooter games.”
"N.Y. Zombies 2 is a terrific zombie title, which may not reinvent the genre, but it certainly comes close to perfecting it."
- Co-op multiplayer with up to 3 players, powered by GameCenter!
- Battle huge hordes of zombies, up to 20-30 at once!
- Explore a broken-down New York City - from Times Square, to Central Park, to the Holland Tunnel and more!
- Gear up with over 25 upgradable weapons and items!
- Awesome items like bear traps, molotov cocktails, a riot shield, land mines, grenades, auto-turrets, and more!
- Easy to learn shooting mechanics - tap to shoot from the hip, or use iron sights for greater accuracy!
- Learn a variety of skills!
- 3 different skill paths: survivor, close combat, and marksman!
- 18 unique enemy types, including mutant crows, giant zombies, rabid dogs, diseased zombies, and many more!
- Discover an epic story of survival!
- 2 game modes: Story and Endless!
- Stunning graphics with advanced lighting and effects!
- Full iPhone/iPod Touch 5 widescreen support!
- Retina display enabled for the new iPad!
- Sync progress across multiple devices using iCloud!
For more Foursaken Media news...
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/FoursakenMedia
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/foursakenmedia
Watch videos on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/FoursakenMedia
or visit our website: www.foursakenmedia.com
What's New in Version 1.2.1• Added the option to manually upload to/download from iCloud
• Added an option to disable the momentum while looking around
• Fixed an issue with data loss
• Fixed a crashing issue when playing for extended periods of time
• Fixed a crash with giants
• Improved multiplayer connectivity