Third Blade Review
- Smooth controls; responsive basic and special attack buttons.
- Unique abilities to unlock for each weapon; play to your style.
- Rich 2D visuals and special effects.
- Lacking in depth; multiple skills limited by mindless grinding or in-app purchases for cash.
- Leans too heavily on the small monster roster it has.
- Relatively absent storyline.
Third Blade is more flamboyant than your average side-scrolling beat'em-up and the ability to wield three unique weapons adds a bit of variety if you can afford the skills and time to grind for them.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Com2US have made a mark on the App Store thanks to their relatively solid releases and in particular their deft hand at producing decent action KRPG titles. Caligo Chaser was an interesting take on the side-scrolling beat'em-up and Queen's Crown returned to the top-down roots while introducing a new weapon-swapping mechanic, however their latest release, Third Blade, adds a third kind of heat by mixing side-scrolling with the weapon-swap system for a far more immediate action experience.
The result is a game that feels far less in-depth than its predecessors, however this is a boon for those who enjoy the action and not the RPG. Basic kidnapped girlfriend plot aside, you'll travel around the world beating up the same handful of monsters over and over using one of three weapons. Your twin blades may not pack a huge punch, but they're the best way to increase your combo score which (in turn) increases the damage you do significantly. Players can then switch to a sword and board setup, dishing out damage while healing and ignoring incoming attacks in turn; and lastly a two-handed weapon provides the most brutal amount of impact, clearing the screen once you're maxed out on your combo.
While this does sound like there's potential for a lot of variety, things quickly hit their stride early on as you spend levels - 1) Maxing your combo; 2) Healing as needed; and 3) Switching to two-handed to end things quickly. Cash is earned based on your performance and can be spent on upgrading weapons, armor, potions and purchasing other bonuses such as runes which are used to purchase and upgrade skills for each weapon. Without purchasing cash from the in-game store you can expect a bit of grinding to push through later levels as enemy health and damage ramps up to provide an artificial barrier.
With that said, no one said you couldn't kill monsters in style and the visuals are very appealing even despite the repetitive use of a handful of creatures. Due to the skill system you'll be treated to special effects more often than not and 'boss' creatures can provide a serious challenge later on as you learn to deal with their unique spells.
Third Blade attempts to appeal to those who enjoy mindless combat without the burden of a complex story or pointless questing. It's not perfect and it can get monotonous if you're not a fan of the genre, but it's still amusing at least for a little while.
DescriptionThe Adrenaline that will take you to 3 unique styles of Action!!
Adrenaline RUSH! Third Blade!
＊ This game supports English, français, Deutsch, 한글, 中文简体, 中文繁體 and 日本語
Use 3 types of blades—dual wield, one-handed blade, and two-handed sword—to defeat all kinds of vicious monsters as you play along! The ultimate action game filled with endless battles against monsters that keep you immersed in thrill and excitement—Third Blade!
Use Combo gauges that enhance your weapons into 3 stages and be part of this Exquisite Action Drama!
This is what you can call REAL ACTION!
1) 3 Weapons Used in Thrilling Action
- Dual Wield : You can get damaged but can attack enemies with rapid-fire speed as well
- One-handed Blade : Longer attack time than Dual Wield. The most safest and effective way to attack
- Two-handed Sword : Big and heavy, yet makes the most powerful and strongest damage
2) Various Skills with 3 Enhancement Combo Stages
- Each unique weapon holds different skills. Try to add the skill you want the most!
- Experience the 3 enhancement stages for each combo gauge’s unique change!
Stage 1 : Normal Attacks
Stage 2 : Faster Attacks
Stage 3 : Accelerated Attacks with a decrease in skill cool-time!
3) Upgrades available in item shop!
- Destroy all enemies with a stronger weapon!
4) Other Excitements!
- Normal Mode and Arcade Mode, including Training Room, Prison, Tower of Time, and more!
Connect with Com2uS!
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook!
For information on new games and special events, check out http://www.withhive.com!
What's New in Version 1.1.2Annihilate enemies with 3 types of blades for triple the action!
We've fixed up some minor bugs!
Have feedback? Leave a review or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org!