Flick Buddies Review
- Short, fast flick-based competitions.
- Clever level designs.
- Up to four player single-device gameplay.
- Lightweight on available content and gameplay.
- Limited appeal on smaller iDevices.
Flick Buddies doesn't feature a lot of depth, but you still get a fun game to share with friends without the need for a lot of skill or setup to get things going.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Flick Buddies by Bane Games jumps on board the rising 'flick' bandwagon and provides you and your friends with a simple micro-game title that offers little more than a quirky, but fun physics-based competitive title to enjoy.
After loading up a map you have the option of either playing with AI opponents or with up to 3 other friends as you share the corners of your iDevice. The aim of the game is somewhat like Hungry Hungry Hippos - only reversed - with each player attempting to flick their current object in to the goal floating around the screen. The direction and speed of your flick is translated directly in to the game and obstacles around the level provide barriers to prevent directly hitting the goal and allowing for some amusing battles as you jounce other players, possibly resulting in a wasted turn as they fall in to a deadly black-hole or a spiky trap. Power-ups are randomly assigned to players, allowing you to either stop your bouncing character to provide a temporary barrier; split them in to two to score twice or to hedge your bets; and a boost to charge and hopefully knock other players away from the goal.
The visuals are simple and vibrant, with each of the four available groups being especially quirky in their choice as characters - zombies, electronic devices, snails and fast-food in particular. Some of the available levels are quite unique in their approach, ranging from simple static blockades to moving hazards and odd gravity pools, but ultimately the game remains the same - just a simple micro-game best played with friends.
The appeal wears off quickly once you've unlocked the available content and playing with other people on anything but an iPad can be a bit of an awkward challenge in itself. Yet, if you're the kind of person who likes to share their games with friends, Flick Buddies is still a quick-fire and fun title to have at your disposal.
- 1-4 Player physics based action on a single iPhone
- Dedicated singleplayer mode
- 30 levels in 3 game modes
- 15 different characters in 5 environments
- Open Feint and Game Center achievements and leaderboards
- “So fun and so addicting, and if you don’t have this game on your iOS device, do so right now.” - worldofmeh.com
- “It’s the perfect time waster” – kotaku.com.au
- “The app store got redefined yesterday” – iphonealley.com
- “[Bane Games] have done an absolutely great job” - itechtrek.com
- “The game does provide good, clean fun” – kotaku.com
What's New in Version 2.1- 6 new Challenge Levels
- Fixed crash bug
- Fixed Splitter bug