Block Rogue Review
- 325 puzzles; played in groups of 25.
- Intriguing story told in snippits.
- Varied environments to mix things up.
- Short audio loops.
- Poor control system and no alternative options.
If you're after a whole lot of puzzles to eat up your spare time, look no further than Block Rogue as it gives you more than just a checklist to complete.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Block Rogue by Buzz Monkey Software isn't your typical Sokoban-style puzzler, but not because you play the game in some unique way. You'll find yourself hitting switches, pushing blocks and rolling boulders much like any similar puzzler, but for your little character there's a clear motivation for attempting to complete all 325 levels.
That's right, 325 levels - and we're not talking easy levels either; you'll have to avoid the usual set of problems that will force you to slap the undo button (or at worst the reset button) to avoid making that one fatal error that places you in an impossible situation. After completing a level you have two doors to progress through and if you can survive through 25 puzzles you'll reach one of several possible endings that highlight the hidden pages your character is looking for. Each time he enters the maze his memory is wiped, though mirrors in each level provide some background information to carry the story forward.
Block Rogue is relatively simplistic in its design, though you'll encounter plenty of sprite variations as you continue through each play through. However, despite multiple attempts and lengthy sessions, the game's swipe-based controls never really feel comfortable and adding a d-pad to the cluttered screen would be impossible without a complete redesign.
While it's unlikely that all but the most dedicated of puzzle enthusiasts will complete the game, it's insanely great value for those who do take the plunge. Aside from the control issues Block Rogue is a mind-tickling challenge that will keep you busy for hours.
DescriptionA massive, labyrinthine dungeon, hundreds of mind-bending puzzles, and a dark mystery waiting to be solved. Prepare yourself: Block Rogue is the biggest mobile puzzle adventure game ever made.
Think you’re good at solving puzzles? I hope so, because little Ilbin really needs your help. He’s lost in this dungeon, you see, and seems to be suffering from a bit of memory loss. And the only things keeping him company are a bunch of talking mirrors, magic orbs, and a torn-up book of secrets.
Help Ilbin puzzle his way through, and we’ll figure out what’s up with this crazy dungeon!
- Winner of Microsoft-sponsored "Dr. Dobb's Challenge Deuce" competition
- Slide to Play says: "Sokoban has never been as addictive as it is in Block Rogue"
- Recipient of "The Gamers' Temple Award of Excellence"
- Featured as Edge magazine's "Friday Game"
- Featured in Cult of Mac's "Must-Have iOS Games of the Week"
- Featured in GameFront's "Notable Mobiles"
“Block Rogue” is in iPhone 4-style HD on iPhone 4!
- Block Rogue is a puzzle game where each solution brings you one step closer to discovering the truth!
- Progress is automatically saved! Jump in and jump out at your leisure.
- Puzzle rooms are randomly-generated using ingenious and sinister algorithms for endless replay value!
- Mind-bending room configurations, from standard push-block puzzles to complex amalgamations of roller-balls, switches, death-rays, and more!
- Shockingly-deep lore with secret stories hidden throughout the game!
What's New in Version 1.2This update of Block Rogue FIXES the save game problem that many users have experienced.
Unfortunately, this fix may disrupt your saved game if you already have Block Rogue. Please accept our deepest apologies if this occurs; it was necessary to correct the problem for the
majority of players.